5 Improvements New to Skutt Catholic This Year

A look at recent changes at Skutt Catholic

Skutt Catholic's remodeled media center

Skutt Catholic's remodeled media center

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Skutt Catholic's remodeled media center

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Skutt Catholic's remodeled media center

Tom Hermanek, Managing Editor

Aug. 14, 2017 — Skutt Catholic welcomed students back for classes Monday. Below are five improvements that students may have noticed this morning.

Photo by Tom Hermanek
Skutt Catholic’s remodeled media center

1. Remodeled Media Center

As many students are aware, Skutt Catholic’s media center, once filled with shelves of neglected books and unused by students, has been transformed into a comfortable space for students to gather before and after school or even during a few free minutes of the school day. It’s equipped with modern seating and large flat screen televisions, along with computer workstations where students can work on projects or print a paper before class.

Photo by Tom Hermanek
Mr. Kasner in his new office

2. Administrative Changes

Mr. Oliver Bantam, hired in the fall of 2017 as Skutt Catholic’s technology coordinator, has been promoted to Assistant Principal, a position he now shares with Mr. Michael Bailey.

Additionally, Mr. Jeremy Moore was named President of Skutt Catholic in the spring of this year, replacing Interim President Tim Bloomingdale. Bloomingdale took the position following the abrupt departure of John McMahon in the summer of 2016.

Mr. Donn Kasner, who previously worked at Elkhorn South high school, took over for Mr. Moore as Activities Director this summer.

Photo by Tom Hermanek

3. Freshly Painted Lockers

On Monday, many students took notice of the fresh coat of dark grey paint that covered all student lockers. In addition to rotating combination locks, crews coated the lockers with fresh paint.

Photo by Tom Hermanek

4. New Street Sign and Landscaping

The school’s main thoroughfare, Bruce and Marlene Haney Drive, has been given a decorative street sign with decorative landscaping.

5. Remodeled South Foyer

Perhaps the first improvement that many students noticed Monday is the remodeled South entrance foyer. The bare cinderblock walls were replaced with beautiful tile and a display honoring school donors and a set of doors has been removed, making the area more welcoming to students and visitors.

Tom Hermanek - Managing Editor

Tom became a member of The Flightline in January of 2015. He is a senior who is involved in mock trial and swimming. Off campus, Tom spends his time with friends or working at Starbucks. You can email him at [email protected]