• Musicians wanting to help with retreats/Campus Min events- meet today after school in CM Office!

• Big Hawks! Friday we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Tryouts for the Mock Trial teams will be held on Sunday, August 27th at 5 p.m. in room C105.

An Abundance of Banquets

A plethora of end-of-year celebrations bombards students

Ms. French presents during the Campus Ministry banquet

Photo by SCHS Ministry Council twitter page

Hope Stratman, Copy Editor

As the school year comes to a close, colorful tablecloths and centerpieces have repeatedly overtaken our cafécommetorium. The pillars have been streamered up, inordinate amounts of food have been served, and emotional speeches might have even brought a few to tears.

You guessed it. It’s banquet season yet again.

Holding a banquet is a wonderful ways to finish off a season and to honor an activity’s most dedicated members. And it seems that Skutt Catholic is quite fond of these sentimental celebrations. In the last four weeks of school, a nearly overwhelming amount of banquets has been or will be held, leaving many students’ calendars packed to the brim with these enjoyable, albeit numerous, celebrations.

Photo by Skutt Catholic Theatre twitter page
The ITS members who won ‘Wilbur’ awards at the ITS banquet

Involved students often end up attending five or more banquets this time of year. With so many celebrations, one would think that the banquets would eventually get repetitive or dull; however, according to senior Rebecca Snowden, this is not the case. “All of the banquets have a special touch to them,” she says. “NAHS is kind of laid back, but then you look at the Wilburs, the ITS event, and it’s really formal. The banquets are all fun, but each of them is fun in a different way.”

These banquets provide a special way to honor the seniors of the group, who are often recognized and given awards. “It makes me happy seeing the seniors being recognized at the banquets,” says junior Bridget Snow. “I’m going to miss them, but it’s so nice to see them get recognition and their varsity letters.”

Besides senior recognition, the banquets often also consist of speeches, shared memories, perhaps a slideshow, and awards for outstanding underclassmen, making them a meaningful and enjoyable event for those involved.

Seniors Sarah Devlin and Hans Espiritu pose with Choir Director Chris Storm at the Show Choir banquet

No matter how fun they may be, however, the banquets have become an inconvenience for some. “The amount of banquets is kind of crazy,” says Snow. “It kind of frustrates me because everything is just in this one week, and it’s so hectic. Can’t they just spread it out?” Becky Snowden agrees, saying, “The banquets don’t conflict with each other, but they conflict with my school stuff.”

Although it makes sense for banquets to be held at the end of the year, activity heads should consider moving their banquets for the sake of students; the end of the year can get crazy, after all, and an abundance of banquets packed into the last few weeks isn’t to be the best move for students’ schedules.

Regardless of when they are, however, these banquets are still incredibly meaningful to the students, and especially the seniors, involved in the activities that the banquets celebrate. Although this time of year is hectic, it’s also a time for endings and new beginnings – and nothing says that like a celebration.

Hope Stratman - Features Editor

Hope became a member of The Flightline in August of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in activities including Speech and FBLA. Outside of school, she enjoys lists, photography, and naming inanimate objects. You can email her at [email protected]