• The Book Club is starting on Tuesday October 24th in the Student Center from 3:15-3:45.

• Audition sign ups for our District One-Act Play are up on Mr. Wright's window.

• Those interested in jazz band please meet in the band room at 6:45am Oct.24

• Senior photos are due by October 31st!

15,600 Words Later…

A final note from the Editor

A nice photo of me in a field of clovers.

Photo by Hannah Klemme

Photo by Hannah Klemme

Kayley Anderson, Editor in Chief

I finally did it. After numerous attempts and threats, the end of my Newspaper career has come. It took almost as long as it took me to quit Taco Bell, but thankfully I did it myself this time, instead of having a friend impersonate me (thanks Gretchen).

In the two and a half years I’ve been on staff, I’ve written 52 articles totaling over 15,600 words,contributed to four indepths, taken at least thirty featured images, designed nine quintessence layouts (including the horrifying original), emailed Mr. Meyers at least a hundred times, and redesigned one website. Two of my articles were pulled, multiple have required serious editing, and at least one reads like it was written by a first grader (hint: it’s an earlier one).

Photo by Lily Yates
My lovely staff in Seattle.

Those are the numbers, the bare facts laid out as proof that I was in fact a journalist, but as usual the numbers don’t tell the whole story. They don’t reflect the countless hours of writer’s block, the tears shed over in design frustration, or the joy of having someone compliment your article in the hallway.

I am certain that the person I am today came from the time I spent in that room and the lessons I learned. It’s allowed me to be able to call strangers and talk with little to no difficulty and ask questions of corporations far bigger than any I come across in daily life. I once waited thirty minutes to talk to a college board representative about the PSAT and emailed SeaWorld eight times to gain access to an official press release.

Newspaper has allowed me to be a leader of people I’d admire and  love something I’m not sure I’m qualified to do, but am honored that I was given the opportunity. It’s fantastic to have a room filled with some of the most intelligent, creative, and unique people as a staff. My younger sister’s decision to join not only made me extremely happy, but I’m also astounded at her talent and the progress she’s made and will continue to make throughout the years. Our success this year may not have ended in a Pacemaker, but I’m still unbelievably proud. I love my staff and the small family we’ve become.

Photo by Maria Miller
Molly and I astounded that bathroom doors could be so odd.

With that being said, my journalism career has come to an early end; it seems like just yesterday I was avoiding Elliott in the halls after dropping. After two and a half years, I’ve learned that dreams and goals are malleable. ‘Not right now’ doesn’t mean never. There are no absolutes, and that is absolutely okay. I can only hope that someday I’ll find a way to write for publication once again, but until then I’ll be content stalking the Flightline from college and praising those who will remain on Staff next year.

Thank you, Skutt Catholic, for allowing me the opportunity to be your Editor in Chief. For one last time, this is Kayls signing off.

Maddie Mollner - Student Life Editor

Maddie became a member of The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school she is a connoisseur of flamboyant socks. You can email her at [email protected]