• Become a part of the publications that the SkyHawk community relies on. See Mrs. Drummond about getting involved in Journalism.

What Happened to the Royals?

Why KC is struggling and Skutt Catholic students’ takes on it

Photo by Kansas City Star
Eric Hosmer after hitting a ground out

Bob Killgore, Posters Coordinator

Just two years ago, the Kansas City Royals were on top of the baseball world, winning the World Series. Eric Hosmer, Lorenzo Cain, and Kendrys Morales led the team offensively, while Wade Davis closed the games out. However, this year has been a different story as Kansas City are the bottom-dwellers in the AL Central, with a poor 16-21 record through the first month of the season.

One of the main reasons why the Royals have struggled so far this season is their inability to score runs. They have scored 119 runs this season and average 3.06 runs per game, the worst in the league. The Royals want to hit the long ball more than they did last season but, that will lead to a lot of strikeouts.

Royal’s hitters have already struck out over 250 times, which is a byproduct of trying to hit more home runs. These types of offenses sometimes struggle to produce runs because if they are not hitting home runs, then they won’t score a ton of runs.

“As a fan, It’s been disappointing to watch the Royals struggle to score runs”, said junior D.J Peatrowsky. “It’s also frustrating to watch Kansas City not being able to convert run scoring opportunities,” Peatrowsky continued.

There was a time when the Royals had an electrifying bullpen, filled with arms that could shorten the game like Wade Davis and Greg Holland. However, Davis is closing for the Cubs and Holland for the Rockies.

Their departure left the the door open for Kelvin Herrera and is one of the few recognizable names left in the Kansas City bullpen. So far this season, the Royals bullpen is 5-8 and owns a 4.71 ERA. Their bullpen is ranked 23rd in the MLB and has given up 65 runs.

Through the first 5 innings of the season, the Royals gave up 12 runs, 8 walks, and one home run. Things went downhill quickly for the Kansas City bullpen and hasn’t got much better.

“Herrera is one of the few Royals relievers I trust” said sophomore Jack Mcgonigal. “After that there’s nobody that’s reliable” continued Mcgonigal.

The Royals have struggled mightily on the road this season, but they have played decent at home this year. Their home record is 11-9, which is good. However, their road record is an awful 5-12.

Teams won’t play as well on the road, but the Royals record contrast is rare. What’s odd about their home and away record is that Kansas City actually scores more on the road, 3.24 than at home, 2.89.

The Royals have suffered a terrible start to the season and needs to get their offense going if they want to make it back to the postseason. It’s still early and Kansas City has time to figure it out, but it needs to happen soon. Otherwise, the 2017 season will be a repeat of the disappointing 2016 year.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]