Looking Back Before Moving Forward

Seniors share their favorite memory of high school

Allison Heithoff, Editor-in-Chief of Quintessence

Walking down the trodden halls of Skutt Catholic for the last few times is a bittersweet moment. Each senior has their own exciting direction moving ahead, but looking back at the past four years also reveals their uniquely individual high school experience.

As seniors begin to make their biggest change thus far, I think it is all the more important to not fast forward ahead all at once. There is some value in first taking time to reflect on all that has happened in high school and what impact the experience has had before fully moving on.

I talked to several seniors and asked them what memory they cherished most throughout their high school career. Here is what they shared:

“My favorite high school memory was…”

“… going to my first dance, Winter Formal, sophomore year with one of my best friends because it was the first time that I had ever gone to anything like that before. We took pictures and went to Ruby Tuesday for dinner and even though that just seems like a simple high school dance routine, it meant a lot to me because it was with my best friend and it was when I started to realize high school was going to be some of the best years of my life.”

-Will Hanna

…it was when I started to realize high school was going to be some of the best years of my life.”

— Will Hanna

“…winning Prom Queen [was a great experience] because it has always been my dream of winning queen at a school dance ever since I was little. It’s something you can’t study for or really prepare for, so it was really neat experience to have at my last high school dance.”

– Claire Harrison

“…the Halloween football game freshman year. That was one of the first best moments with the friends I still have today…minus getting coffee spilled on my jacket.”

-Hans Espiritu

“…taking state chess. Just the feeling of our team coming together one last time and then finishing with a trophy was the highlight of my time at Skutt.”

-Hunter Warder

“…definitely winning two volleyball state championships. There’s no greater feeling than making history with your best friends.”

-Brooke Heyne

There’s no greater feeling than making history with your best friends.”

— Brooke Heyne

“…my very last showchoir competition. We performed the greatest we ever had, and I participated in my first solo competition. Everyone was so supportive of one another; I will surely miss my showchoir family.”

-Nessa Woosley

“…our comeback reserve basketball game win against Mount Michael when Trevor hit a shot to tie the game and send it to overtime and then also senior Prom!”

-Joe Heglin

“…freshman year in strength and fit when Kirayle plowed me over playing big base and landed on top of me!”

-Abbi Wendt

In short, high school turned out for many to be far more than anything they ever thought or imagined it would be. The pictures, memories, and relationships made are all mementos to be looked back on and cherished for many years to come.

If I had to settle on a favorite high school memory, it would definitely have to be being a part of this newspaper the past two years. It was one of those things I never saw happening going into high school, but it is now something I couldn’t possibly imagine the overall experience without. The wonderful and hardworking people I’ve come to know, the stories I’ve been able to recount, the whimsical parties we’ve thrown during class, the downright comical posters we’ve created, and the utterly random classroom discussions that have commenced are some of the things I’m going to miss most about stepping foot in this school every day.

Signing Off,

Allison Heithoff