• Come to our Theology Thursday where we will be talking about Charlottesville and the Catholic response to white supremacy.

• Angels prayer group will be meeting on Thursday at 6:45am

• All Summer Service hours are due in x2vol.com by Sept. 1st.

• Seniors: Appointments have been scheduled with your guidance counselor next week.

• This Friday is an All School Spirit Dress Day

• This Friday's Football Game is a WHITE OUT!

• AP Biology and Pollen Nation Club will be hosting a bake sale this Wednesday!

• Attention Boys Basketball Players! There will be a mandatory meeting after school on Thursday for anyone planning to tryout for basketball this season and NOT in a fall sport.

• Father Harrison will be available daily in the new confessional in the chapel for confessions. Every Monday and Wednesday

• It is not too late to join Robotics. First meeting is Tuesday, August 29 at 5:00pm in D110.

This Documentary Will Convince You Slavery Still Exists

Ava DuVernay’s The 13th brings light to racial inequalities still very much in existence today

Lily Yates, Quintessence Copy Editor

The screen blinks on, and you’re faced with a tattered black-and-white image of the American flag. But suddenly, you realize, it’s not the flag at all. Those stripes are the stripes of a prison inmate.

Netflix’s late 2016 premiere of the social documentary “The 13th” began a rampant stream of success, with the flick garnering high praises from prominent white and African American pop culture figures alike, such as Oprah Winfrey and comedian/director Jordan Peele. That is, not to mention, the film’s 2017 Oscar nomination for best documentary feature.

“The 13th” consists of in-depth interviews with top scholars, lawyers, historians, and politicians– including a few more surprising figures, such as two-time Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, all with varying points of view on the mass incarceration of black people in America. Each interview sets a new piece of DuVernay’s puzzle on the table in a way that is compelling as well as accessible for the viewer.

Statistics, historical media, and oral retellings may not sound like the components of an intensely intriguing experience, but the story being told is striking enough on its own to capture the attention of any audience member. The massive-scale evidence of corporate corruption, political manipulation, and the mass incarceration of black and Latino Americans, especially, spans all the way from the Civil War, through the Civil Rights movement and the various presidential ‘War on Drugs’ campaigns, and eventually into the modern birth of the Black Lives Matter movement.

The words ‘institutional racism’ are a phrase that is nearly completely unfamiliar to the average teenager, especially to those who may have been raised in communities less affected by police presence and issues of racial bias.

However, just because these issues may not directly affect the viewer in a way they’d ever thought about before, “The 13th”‘s stark and incisive commentary brings to light a shameful side of history that many Americans of course wish would stay buried.

But the frightening (and often unrecognized) reality is that a clause exists in the 13th Amendment of the Constitution that deprives more than 2 million imprisoned Americans of their basic right to vote. But even lesser known, it allows corporations to take advantage of the ‘free workforce’ available in prisons– a blatant violation of the right to work for pay.

There are far too many nuances of this vast topic for me to cover in a simple article- but please do not take my word for it.

I can sincerely promise you that an hour of your time in exchange for a complete revolution of the way you view history and, indeed, politics today, is worth it.

Lily Yates - Quintessence Editor-in-Chief

Lily became a member of The Flightline in August of 2015. She is a senior this year and enjoys an array of activities including choir, theatre and slam poetry. She is also on staff as a library aide at the Omaha Public Library. You can email her at [email protected]