• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

“Little Free Library” Makes a Reappearance

National English Honor Society installs new library in front of the school

Allison Heithoff, Editor-in-Chief of Quintessence

The Little Free Library finds its new home at front of the school

This spring, Skutt Catholic’s own Little Free Library made a reappearance, and thanks to its proximity to surveillance, it’s here to stay this time.

Last May, members of the National English Honor Society first undertook the project of creating what is known as a Little Free Library. Essentially, it is a small enclosed structure located outdoors that is stocked full of books for all ages. It is open for anyone to enjoy, and the concept behind it is if you take a book then you leave one behind in exchange.

There are Little Free Libraries located all across the United States and Omaha, and there is even a map on the Little Free Library website that pinpoints every spot where one is located, including the one at Skutt Catholic.

“The original Little Free Library, which was hand built by Jacob Koperski (Class of 2016) and his father, was installed alongside the walking path behind the tennis courts. It was an active Library for about three weeks before someone completely destroyed it with a baseball bat,” explains Mrs. Hoye, who is in charge of the SkyHawk Chapter of the National English Honor Society.

Photo by Sean Lynch
The base was all that remained of last year’s Little Free Library

This devastating news left the National English Honor Society in shock, but it wasn’t long before the next year’s members quickly resolved to bring it back.

“Although it was sad to see last year’s destroyed, I’m glad that we didn’t let people’s aversion toward it get to us,” shares President of NEHS Tori Barclay. “We ordered the new library, painted it, and had it installed,” she continues.

This time the Little Free Library is located near the main entrance of the school off to the far left of the building’s arches. This location, unlike last year’s, falls under the protection of video surveillance, which members hope will prevent a similar incident to last year’s from happening again.

“The Little Free Library is a great way for many of us to incorporate reading into our already busy lives. It allows for anyone to take a book and leave a book which I think is just a really cool idea,” shares Vice President Melissa Bowers.

So take a second to stop by and take advantage of the opportunity to read something unique from what is required within literature class. See for yourself what’s inside, you never know what you might find.