• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

Save the K-W House

Mr. K-W created a project to raise money for his family home.

This is the K-W house

This is the K-W house

Photo by GofundMe project

Photo by GofundMe project

This is the K-W house

Sam Klemme, Staff Reporter

Mr. Koneck-Wilcox, our very own spirited Character Skills teacher, is doing something that will help more than just himself. He and his siblings are trying to raise money so that they can make repairs to their parents’ roof. His goal may seem lofty, but it can be reached.

Gofundme.com is a website that is used to raise money for various worthy causes. Mr. Koneck-Wilcox, AKA Mr. K-W, started a campaign to raise money for the roof of his family home, which was built in 1904. “I started this project because my family had exhausted all of our financial options,” K-W said. “When we first mentioned Gofundme to my parents they were against it, but the roof just got so bad.”

The state of the roof has become a very big problem at the house. “When my parents moved into the house, the roof was already about 30

Photo by GoFundMe project
Some of the damage inside the house

years old” K-W said. “In recent years water leaked into the house and
into the second floor, going along the rafters.” With his Gofundme, Mr. K-W is trying to get the money as quickly as possible so he can help his parents out. The structural integrity has started to come into question and could be a real danger to the people living inside.

Mr. K-W wants to raise money because of all the good things his parents do. “My parents like to work wherever they feel like they can make a difference.” Mr. K-W says that it has been very rewarding to see the donations that have come from families in the Saint Cecilia’s Cathedral and Skutt Catholic communities. K-W states in the description of the project that “One such repair that Bob and Joan have selflessly, repeatedly put on the back burner in favor of helping their friends, family and community is their roof.” He sees this as a great opportunity to give back to his parents for all they have done for his family and community.

The goal he set was 26,000 dollars, and on May 1st the project met its

Photo by GoFundMe project
A picture of the K-W family

goal. “I feel incredibly blessed,” K-W said. “The response from the community, family and friends has been amazing. Every donation helps, and we have gotten them from $10 to $5000.” About a third of the donations have been from anonymous donors. “I find that incredibly inspiring because people are donating without counting the cost or seeking the recognition,” said K-W.

“It is very embarrassing to ask for help, especially with financial things. But sometimes you have to swallow your pride because it may be the only solution,” said K-W. The family printed a card to advertise the campaign using an African proverb, “Rain does not fall on one roof alone.” K-W said, “We are blessed that a lot of people agree.”

Sam Klemme - Entertainment Editor

Sam became a member of The Flightline in January of 2017. He is a junior this year involved in show choir at Skutt Catholic and spends time playing video games in his basement outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]