• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

The Sweet Sound of Success

Skutt Catholic dominates the district music contest

Skutt+Catholic+Show+Choir+
Skutt Catholic Show Choir

Skutt Catholic Show Choir

Photo by Skutt Catholic Choirs Twitter

Photo by Skutt Catholic Choirs Twitter

Skutt Catholic Show Choir

Maddie Mollner, Staff Reporter

On April 21 and 22, Bennington High School was full of musical students from all over Omaha, eager to compete for titles in the District Music Contest. Skutt Catholic was one of the many schools to participate, and the results proved to be very rewarding for the immensely talented choir department, led by Choir Department Director Mr. Chris Storm.

The contest is based on a rating system that ranges between one and five. One is a Superior rating, which was awarded to Show Choir, Chamber Choir, Concert Choir, Men’s Choir, two of the small ensembles, and seven soloists. Women’s Choir received a rating of 2, which is Excellent, as did two other ensembles and two soloists. “I think our hard work really paid off and we made a lot of improvements throughout the season to get us to this point,” sophomore Adella Smolsky commented.

Photo by Skutt Catholic Choirs Twitter
Show Choir during a performance

“Overall we did very well, and we’re very pleased with the way things went for us,” Mr. Storm said. “There are always some things that you wish went better in the actual performance but that’s just the way the experience works.”

Of course, practice and preparation make for perfection. Preparation time for the contest ranged from four months to a mere four weeks. “The large choirs worked on some of the pieces in January or February. Other pieces were newer and came to us in March, when we had four or five weeks to prepare. The smaller groups had four or five weeks where they worked to get their music ready,” Storm said.

When it came to the actual performance, it was very important that all members of the choir were focused and ready to give their all. “When performing it is always a little nerve-wracking, especially right before you go on, but during the performance there was a rush of excitement flowing through everyone,” said sophomore Sam Moylan. “After the performances my mind instantly goes to, ‘How could I have done better’ or ‘What did I mess up’ but I felt confident in our abilities as a group,” Moylan continued.

Photo by Skutt Catholic Twitter
Skutt Catholic Chamber Choir performing at districts

Normally after such contests, other sports and activities are through with the season and begin to prepare for the next year. Technically, the choir season ended on April 6th with the Show Choir banquet. However, the results of the District Music Contest carry a significance past the end of choir season. “We use the comments from these performances to help us prepare for our spring concert on May 7th, and we continue to apply those ideas and see if we can make our spring performance better than what it was at districts,” Storm concluded. “There will always be places to improve on in the performing arts. Some of the things we could have worked on were dynamics and tone, but overall we did very well,” Moylan added.

The Skutt Catholic choir shed light on their immense musical skill and brought home the amazing ratings they deserved at this year’s District Music Contest. Make sure to congratulate your fellow SkyHawks on their amazing achievements, and consider attending the spring concert on May 7th as they showcase one last time to close out the school year.

Maddie Mollner - Student Life Editor

Maddie became a member of The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school she is a connoisseur of flamboyant socks. You can email her at [email protected]