• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

Classroom Comfort Becomes Priority

New interactive furniture strives to keep students engaged

The+new+interactive+desks+that+will+be+replacing+the+traditional+metal+chairs+
The new interactive desks that will be replacing the traditional metal chairs

Photo by Pinterest.com

Photo by Pinterest.com

Alaina Anderson, Staff Reporter

Sit up straight, put your feet under your desk, and pick your head up are all the dreaded phrases we begin to hear by sixth period. Comfort is often an afterthought in the classroom, but Skutt Catholic freshman English teacher Mrs. Leuschen has made this a priority by piloting new interactive classroom furniture.

Interactive classrooms are a relatively new concept within the educational system. Many teachers and administrators feel that students are hindered by a lack of comfort in the classroom. Often, students are more concerned with the discomfort of the metal chairs than what the teacher is trying to teach. In order to remedy this, teachers have begun using new furniture to promote a more comfortable and attentive environment.

I’m typically in a better mood when I’m comfortable; I’m guessing my students probably feel similarly.”

— Mrs. Leuschen

Mrs. Leuschen’s classroom is the first room in Skutt Catholic to see the effects of new furniture. The traditional metal chairs and desks are being removed and replaced by rotating desks. The new desks are on wheels and able to completely rotate as a chair and desk unit.

The purpose of the rotating desks is to promote student engagement by improving comfort. “Eight hours is a long time to sit in a hard chair,” English teacher Mrs. Leuschen said. “While sometimes this is unavoidable, I’m hoping chairs that allow for a bit more movement and comfort will be more conducive to student engagement. I’m typically in a better mood when I’m comfortable; I’m guessing my students probably feel similarly,” Leuschen said.

Students are hopeful that the new furniture will have a positive impact. “I think the new desks will enable me to focus more in class,” freshman Jacob Spidle said. “Instead of spending my time trying to get comfortable, I will be able to solely pay attention to what we are working on,” Spidle said.

While some students believe the new desks will positively affect the classroom, others feel indifferent to the change. “I’m not sure how much of a difference the new furniture will actually make,” freshman Liz Sims said. “However, I am excited to see if I am proved wrong,” Sims said.

Until now, comfort didn’t matter in the classroom. However, this trial run could completely change that. Interactive classrooms have the potential to revolutionize the educational environment.

Maddie Mollner - Student Life Editor

Maddie became a member of The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school she is a connoisseur of flamboyant socks. You can email her at [email protected]