• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

The Return of Mrs. Lenz

A look into her brief break from retirement

Mrs.+Lenz+and+family+at+the+2016+retiree+brunch+
Mrs. Lenz and family at the 2016 retiree brunch

Photo by Skutt Catholic Our Legacy magazine

Maddie Mollner, Staff Reporter

After a mere six months of retirement, Mrs. Paula Lenz is happy to be back in action in the classroom as a substitute teacher. A history teacher since 1993, Lenz’s contributions to the Skutt Catholic community throughout the years have touched students and faculty, and continue to do so as she returns as a substitute for the duration of Mrs. Starman’s maternity leave.

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook
Mrs. Paula Lenz

Mrs. Lenz enjoys seeing students from her full-time teaching days. “I am glad to be able to come at the end of the year and to see the progress that people have made, especially the seniors in Senior Studies,” she commented. “Teaching that class has been a lot of fun and I’ve really enjoyed it,” she went on.

One would think that making such a drastic switch from teaching World History for more than 20 years to teaching a theology class would take a toll on a teacher. However, with Mrs. Lenz, this is not the case. “History and theology kind of go together, especially since I taught World History, they’re almost intertwined,” Lenz said. “Being back has been really exciting and I’ve really enjoyed it,” she continued.

When asked what her favorite part was about returning, her response really came from the heart. “I have such a passion for Skutt Catholic. Being able to help open this building and being away from it for six months and then to come back makes me realize how much I love Skutt Catholic High School.”

Mrs. Lenz spoke about how she was able to attend a meeting regarding the 25-year anniversary of the school. During this meeting, she reminisced about being at Skutt Catholic for so many years. “Next year Skutt will be celebrating its 25th year, and while I was sitting in a meeting with some other teachers I just kept thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, we were the people that sat around that table in the very beginning,’ and it just made me feel so good and so happy that I’m a part of something wonderful.”

The Skutt Catholic community has been very excited to welcome Mrs. Lenz into the classroom once again, and she shares the same excitement. Through Mrs. Lenz’s dedication to the school, she truly represents what it means to be a SkyHawk.

Maddie Mollner - Student Life Editor

Maddie became a member of The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school she is a connoisseur of flamboyant socks. You can email her at [email protected]