• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

“The Point Isn’t the Points; The Point Is The Poetry”

The SlamHawks compete at regional finals, take fourth

Hope Stratman, Copy Editor

Lights beat down on a single figure standing behind a microphone, and the air, formerly filled with hoots and applause, now hushes. The entire room’s attention is absorbed by the poet, who is, for the next three minutes, about to stun and enlighten and express with the power of words.

On April 20, Skutt Catholic’s slam poetry team, the ‘SlamHawks,’ competed in regional finals at the Holland center. The team ended up placing in fourth, which was disappointing to some. However, as poets used words as their weapons and their armor, never was one of the most famous LTaB mottos, repeated multiple times by the announcers at finals, more true: “The point isn’t the points; the point is the poetry.”

Photo by Maria Koliopoulos
Clara Pohlman performs her poem, titled “Virtually Beating”

After months of writing and sharing their own poetry, guided by coach Sara Lihz Staroska, the SlamHawks’ competition season began in February. “I am always so excited to enter into competition season,” says sophomore Clara Pohlman. “There’s nothing quite like a slam bout because of its infectious energy.” In the first two prelim bouts (read: slam competitions), Skutt Catholic took first place. Semifinals were on April 4, and the team took first again and qualified for finals, where the final four out of the 42 teams in the region duked it out.

Finals were held at the Holland Center. The SC poets arrived at the Holland early, got settled, practiced their poems, and received multiple pep talks. With all of the emotion and preparation, excitement ran high going into the competition.

Photo by Maria Koliopoulos
Becky Snowden performs her poem, titled “Midnight Chess”

The SlamHawks slowly worked their way through the five rounds of finals. In an LTaB bout, each of the four teams sends up one poem per round. The first four rounds primarily consist of one person performing their poem alone, but there are occasionally group pieces of two or three people. The fifth round, however, is the official group round; each team sends up four people to perform a group poem.

The performances by the team on the Holland stage were some of the SlamHawks’ best ever given. “The most amazing thing was watching every poet from our team pour their hearts–and words–out onto the stage,” says Pohlman. The natural emotion of poetry spurred an abundance of hugs, grins, and joyous compliments before and after performances.

Photo by Louder Than A Bomb Great Plains Facebook Page
The prizes for placement at finals; the grand prize is a cup filled with Pop Tarts

When the final round five poem was performed, all of the poets gathered up on the stage, most holding hands. The SlamHawks took fourth place in the bout, topped by teams from Waverly, Omaha North and Omaha Burke.

The news was somewhat disappointing for the SlamHawks, who had placed second at finals the last two years. Overall, however, the poets were just grateful for the experience. “As for the outcome, sure we were a little bummed, but I feel so blessed to have gotten to share my stories on the Holland stage for the past two years,” says Pohlman. Freshman Abby Pearson agrees and says, “I feel that we should’ve placed a little higher, but we still made it to finals, and that’s great in and of itself.”

The LTaB experience is a unique one, and, regardless of their placement, the poets certainly returned home with a sense of appreciation and passion for the thing that brought them all together in the first place: poetry.

Hope Stratman - Features Editor

Hope became a member of The Flightline in August 2016. She is a senior this year involved in activities involving Speech and FBLA at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, she enjoys lists, photography, and naming inanimate objects. You can email her at [email protected]