• Come to our Theology Thursday where we will be talking about Charlottesville and the Catholic response to white supremacy.

• Angels prayer group will be meeting on Thursday at 6:45am

• All Summer Service hours are due in x2vol.com by Sept. 1st.

• Seniors: Appointments have been scheduled with your guidance counselor next week.

• This Friday is an All School Spirit Dress Day

• This Friday's Football Game is a WHITE OUT!

• AP Biology and Pollen Nation Club will be hosting a bake sale this Wednesday!

• Attention Boys Basketball Players! There will be a mandatory meeting after school on Thursday for anyone planning to tryout for basketball this season and NOT in a fall sport.

• Father Harrison will be available daily in the new confessional in the chapel for confessions. Every Monday and Wednesday

• It is not too late to join Robotics. First meeting is Tuesday, August 29 at 5:00pm in D110.

Newspaper Sucks

My strange allergy towards newspaper

Photo by Peter Quinn

Photo by Peter Quinn

Peter Quinn, Opinion Editor

Some may think that being allergic to something like pollen is odd, but not much is stranger than the fact that I am “allergic” to newspaper. The most ironic part is that I am part of newspaper, but luckily Skutt Catholic no longer has a physical copy, or I would be done for.

Now, I have not technically been diagnosed as “allergic” to newspaper, but it was more of a self-diagnosis for lack of a better word. Many don’t notice it, but newspaper has an extremely potent smell that only I seem to be able to pick up. And let me tell you, it is an awful scent.

This problem has been around ever since I could remember and never seemed to fade away the slightest. When I smell newspaper, I begin to gag and as gain a sense of nausea. While I was in Mexico over Christmas break this year, I caught a whiff of newspaper and proceeded to vomit five successive times, which was a fantastic way to start my day.

This allergy spans further than just newspaper. I generally despise the smell of paper in general. Ever since I was in grade school, I always hated the paper arts and crafts we made such as the paper snowflakes. When I enter a classroom with decorations such as these, I immediately am hit with a blast of this strong smell. Although normal paper does not cause me to become nauseous, if I sit in the room long enough, I begin to develop a screaming headache and get extremely tired.

There is one thing in particular that causes me more problems than the smell of newspaper and paper combined: wet paper. This one confuses me more than the other allergies listed before, because it isn’t even the scent of wet paper that bothers me. If I literally see a piece of wet paper, I start to gag uncontrollably. Now, I’m not exaggerating when I saw uncontrollably; it is almost as if it is an involuntary reaction my body has just to the sight of wet paper. I bet you can imagine how fun making paper mache was for me.

Many people do not take my newspaper allergy seriously, but I can assure you it is as real as any other. I can withstand needles, blood, insects, really anything; but if you whip out a newspaper, I am done for. To this day, I am still perplexed on why newspaper is the bane of my existence.