• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

Serving Up More Than New Seating

Piezon's takes on a new location with new commodities

Exterior of Piezon's Pizzeria

Exterior of Piezon's Pizzeria

Photo by Omaha Pizza Review

Photo by Omaha Pizza Review

Exterior of Piezon's Pizzeria

Maddie Mollner, Staff Reporter

Upon entering the beloved pizza joint known as Piezon’s Pizzeria, one may notice the layout of sports magazines, dry-erase drawings on the wall, and the scent of pizza in the making. For years, locals of the 156th and Center area, as well as students at Skutt Catholic, have thought of Piezon’s as a second home. Piezon’s provides a local site that offers a sense of community as well as amazing food.

Photo by Yelp.com
Interior of Piezon’s Pizzeria

However, the absence of seating, a convenience that almost all restaurants offer, has proven itself to be a setback to customers. But worry not- Skutt Catholic’s favorite pizza joint is preparing for its expansion to the former King Kong building just across its parking lot. Piezon’s owner, Matt Vrzal, was able to give a glimpse into the changes that the relocation will bring to his business.

“We had outgrown this space and we needed to be able to expand. It allows us to be able to do a lot of things we want to do, which means offering seating and dine-in capabilities,” Vrzal said. Piezon’s will also offer another incredible commodity that will prove itself very valuable to Skutt Catholic students. “There’s a drive-thru window over at the new location so we’ll even be able to offer drive-thru over the lunch hour,” Vrzal continued.

A menu expansion is also on the horizon for the restaurant. “One of the pros of expanding is that we’re able to expand our menu, so we’ll offer a homemade meatball sub, homemade pastrami, a sausage and pepper sandwich and Italian beef sandwich so we’ll be more flexible that way,” Vrzal added. “We’ll also get into all the fried foods, for example, wings, onion rings, fries, and all that fun stuff.”

Vrzal talked about how this relocation will help Piezon’s prosper. “I’ve owned bars and restaurants for about 15 years now, and any time you are able to offer more things to people or offer more convenience is very beneficial. It’ll be great for Skutt events; families and teams can come over after the games and hang out. It’ll be more convenient for students to come over during their lunch hour. Once we get a new point of sales set up, we’ll even be able to offer online ordering.”

The size of Piezon’s will not only change in the dining area, but also the kitchen. “We’ll go from two ovens to six ovens, so it will make us a lot more efficient for activity lunches. So when we bring over that food now, it’ll probably be about 15 minutes out of the oven.” Now, activity lunches at Skutt Catholic will be fresher and even more enjoyable. A party room will also be available by the month of June, which can be booked for graduation parties, birthdays, and other special events.

“We just want to be a neighborhood place where people around can call their own and sit down and have a good time,” Vrzal went on. “The neighborhood and the school have been great to us, and we just want to keep growing and providing people with great food and great service,” Vrzal concluded. Despite its upcoming changes, Piezon’s will continue be the community-oriented restaurant that Skutt Catholic knows and loves.

Maddie Mollner - Student Life Editor

Maddie became a member of The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school she is a connoisseur of flamboyant socks. You can email her at [email protected]