Hot Dog Drama

Hot Dogs ARE Sandwiches

Hot Dog Drama

Nessa Woosley, Staff Morale Editor

Hot dogs are a beloved American classic with a new perspective: sandwich. The debate over whether a hot dog is a sandwich or not has become a highly controversial topic at Skutt Catholic. Despite various arguments, I believe hot dogs are just as much a sandwich as a Peanut Butter and Jelly.

A hot dog is not the first image to come to mind when someone offers you a sandwich. The fact that it’s not the primary image of a sandwich does not mean that it shouldn’t be classified as one.

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary, a sandwich is two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between or one slice of bread covered with food.

“No one calls it a ‘Hot Dog Sandwich’?” This is true, but sandwich is an overarching term which umbrellas many separate, specific types of food including: subs, clubs, phillys, paninis, and hamburgers . So, hot dogs should be included in this category of food. If a runza or a calzone is under the sandwich section of the menu, why should hot dogs not be included as well?

Looking at the structure of a hot dog, one may argue its bun orientation disqualifies it as a sandwich. I personally eat this type of sandwich with the bun opening facing sideways rather than up like one would a sub sandwich. Different people eat hot dogs different ways. If one were to attempt to eat a sub the wrong way, would it disqualify it as a sandwich? No.

The state of New York taxes hot dogs as sandwiches, siding with those who support the new classification of the American classic.

Technically, by definition, the hot dog is a sandwich. But now the real question is… is a hot dog also a taco?