• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

High School Science Students Versus “Flat Earthers”

AP Physics students disprove revisionists’ theories

Photo by Ammi Nur Baits

Photo by Ammi Nur Baits

Peter Quinn, Opinion Editor

“Flat earthers”, formally known as revisionists, have been a common laughing stock for anyone with a relative understanding of science. The AP Physics students of Skutt Catholic have taken it upon themselves to disassemble the revisionists’ ideologies. As a group of students who clearly know a thing or two about science, they are more than appalled that people actually believe such things.

Revisionists believe more than just the fact that earth is flat; their list includes the beliefs that gravity is myth and that the moon is fake and does not have an effect on the ocean’s tides.

If you do not know how the moon affects the ocean’s tides, a quick briefing is that the gravity from the moon pulls the water in small amounts as it rotates. The revisionists have devised a foolproof experiment to disprove science. Their proof is backed behind the fact that if you attach a ball to a string and move it over a full bathtub, the water clearly does not move like the tides, and therefore the moon and gravity are not real.

This evidence has multiple fallacies. For one, the water does actually move, but the gravitational pull of the ball is so minuscule that the effect it has on the water is unable to be perceived by the human eye, for it occurs on a molecular level. “The larger the mass, the higher the gravitational pull, which is why we are able to observe the shifts in the ocean’s levels on beaches due to the fact that the moon has a much larger mass than a small ball,” added senior Marcus Judah.

This experiment is also used to disprove gravity. Like stated before, there is no way to perceive the effect of gravity with such a small mass. “I can’t remember the last time I fell up the stairs, but if you want to believe gravity doesn’t exist, I won’t stop you”, senior Brett Manternach said. Senior Joe Bean added, “Flat earthers take the position that gravity doesn’t exist, which creates a host of more problems, foremost amongst them being that there is no reason that the sun should now move around the earth!”

Their “flat earth” theory is difficult to dispute, given that their entire belief lies in sheer ignorance. “If the sun did move around a disc-shaped earth, we would always see some light from the sun, as the sun would always shine on the disc as it went around,” Joe Bean said. “This is obviously not true, as we can see with our own eyes that while there are portions of the day where the light of the sun is gone from one part of the earth, it is simultaneously illuminating another part. We have seen, through manned and unmanned space travel, empirical evidence of not only a spherical earth, but a spherical earth orbiting a central sun.”

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but revisionists’ beliefs crumble at the appearance of any scientific evidence. So if you ever cross roads with one of these individuals, make sure to hit them with some logic given by Skutt Catholic’s AP Physics students.