• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

Disney World Hosts Skutt Catholic Band

School instrumentalists swap Omaha for Orlando on four-day trip

Band students get to know Minnie Mouse on their first day in Florida

Photo by Twitter, @skuttband

Lily Yates, Quintessence Copy Editor

Band students can usually be found in the practice room, at lessons, or in a storage closet piled high with musical instruments. But last weekend, the Skutt Catholic band department traded in the fluorescent lights of its home turf for Florida sunlight.

“I organized the trip because I think we can learn and grow as individuals a lot through traveling,” said band director Mr. Christopher Cotignola before traveling. “Disney World in particular offers some unique educational opportunities to performing arts students that can only be experienced there,” he continued. “I hope that while we’re in Orlando we can mature as people and musicians while having fun, too.”

With a steep call time of 4:10 a.m. on the morning of March 31, the sleepy students headed down to Eppley Airfield for their first flight, and the wheels left the ground around 6:30 a.m.

Photo by Twitter, @skuttband
The students traversed the parks in style, using a stagecoach to get around.

Photo by Twitter, @skuttband

“During the whole trip (but definitely more at the start), everyone couldn’t believe it was already happening, since it still seemed so far off before we left,” said band freshman Zoe Moffitt. “Then, when we got there, we stopped at the hotel, put our stuff in our rooms, and then went right to Epcot!”

Although trip participants did take part in much of the classic Disney World experience, the department made the trek for more than just the rides.

“We actually got to do this activity where we played along with the score of a movie in the park,” recalls junior and jazz band member, Ethan Hough. “It was definitely a unique experience and it was a lot of fun learning the music for it,” he continued.

Anyone keeping an eye on the @skuttband Twitter experienced a bit of the adventure secondhand, with the feed including fun photos and even a clip from students at the famed Splash Mountain. They made their way through nearly all of the parks, wreaking havoc and humming tunes all throughout.

Photo by Twitter, @skuttband

At the end of the day, the consensus rang true: Skutt Catholic’s delegation to the Disney Perfroming Arts studio, especially, was nothing but valuable for everyone involved. The travelers, in turn, are hoping to bring both deeper friendships and new musical skills back to the campus.

However, the students’ return flight made its landing back in Omaha quite late– at 11:30 p.m. Sunday– meaning the memories are still fresh. So when you see a few unusually tan band kids in the halls, be sure to ask about their Sunshine State trip of a lifetime, and hope some of that Disney magic rubs off on you, too.

Lily Yates - Quintessence Editor-in-Chief

Lily became a member of The Flightline in August of 2015. She is a senior this year and enjoys an array of activities including choir, theatre and slam poetry. She is also on staff as a library aide at the Omaha Public Library. You can email her at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Disney World Hosts Skutt Catholic Band”

1. Donovan Earsley on April 4th, 2017 7:43 am

Harry Zhang, Ryan Chapman, and Stevie Yaghmour

[Reply]

• Disney World Hosts Skutt Catholic Band

Clubs & Activities

An Abundance of Banquets

Arts

The Sweet Sound of Success

Arts

“The Point Isn’t the Points; The Point Is The Poetry”

Arts

“The Skin of Our Teeth,” Explained

Clubs & Activities

State Speech Spells Success

Vivace’s Best and Worst Facial Expressions of 2017

Clubs & Activities

Academic Decathlon’s First Swing at State

Arts

The Ins and Outs of Vivace

Arts

A Trip for Improvements and Achievements

Arts

Show Choir’s Unrecognized Heroes

Disney World Hosts Skutt Catholic Band