• Musicians wanting to help with retreats/Campus Min events- meet today after school in CM Office!

• Big Hawks! Friday we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Tryouts for the Mock Trial teams will be held on Sunday, August 27th at 5 p.m. in room C105.

Musical to Shift to Spring

Fall Musical will be moved due to busy directors

Fall musical cast of the Drowsy Chaperone

Photo by Skuttcatholic.com

Sam Klemme, Staff Reporter

Many actors get ready to sing their hearts out every fall, but next year they must prepare their voice for the springtime.

The musical, which usually takes place during the fall of every year, has been moved to the spring of 2017-2018. This has caused many different participants frustration, as the spring becomes a difficult time to prepare for anything outside of school.

“[In the spring] I am getting ready for sports,” sophomore Nathan Fletcher said, “And I know it affects a lot of other people too.” Spring is near the end of the year, around the time that school starts to become stressful and busy; this makes pulling off a spring musical much harder than a fall one.

The decision had to be made due to the fact that Mr. Chris Storm, a fine and performing arts teacher, has been elected as apprentice chair for choral activities in the the Nebraska Choral Directors Association (NCDA). This specific position requires a lot of work that takes place mainly in the fall. “For the next three years I’ll be involved with organizing and setting up the all-state chorus, including the audition process,” Storm said. “I also help pick the composers and the music for that.” Since Storm helps direct the musical aspect of the musical, it has been decided that the performance should be moved to a time when Storm is more available. “I think that the students will have more time to focus on their own all-state auditions along with the play,” Storm said.

Photo by @SkuttChoirs
Empty set of Sweet Smell of Success

Mr. William Wright, teacher and Skutt Catholic play director, thinks that delaying the musical is a reasonable move. “I do think that moving the play was a good idea for several reasons,” Wright said. “All the actors’ voices will be more mature from different classes like choir, and this gives the freshman a better opportunity to join because they’ll be more familiar with the school.”

This also gives more time for Storm to work with the actors, making sure that the performance they give is the best performance they can make. “[Mr. Storm] does so much for the musical,” Wright stated. “He directs all the music, and he does a really good job at pushing the kids to another level.” With Storm working with the actors, Mr. Wright has the opportunity to make more out of rehearsal. He can better assess the practices if all the actors have the ability to perform better than they have before.

While this puts stress on the actors, most of them understand the decision. “Storm needed to change the time because he has a lot going on,” Fletcher said. “It’s reasonable, it just might make it harder for me to join.” It is likely that actors will be frustrated, but no matter what they would rather the performance is as good as it can be rather than just something to get through.

While working on a musical at a moment when time seems to be hard to find is frustrating, the cast and crew know that, to perform the best show, they have to have the practice. They can only do this if they have the guidance to do so, and Storm is as good a candidate as any to make sure their voices are ready to sing like they never have before. With Mr. Wright, Mr. Storm, and a dedicated cast and crew, the show should be ready to be performed when the time comes.

Sam Klemme - Entertainment Editor

Sam became a member of The Flightline in January of 2017. He is a junior this year involved in show choir at and spends time playing video games in his basement outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]