SlamHawk Season

Skutt Catholic's slam team successfully starts off their year

Maria Koliopoulos, Graphics Editor

Skutt Catholic’s very own Louder Than a Bomb poetry team is back.
They returned from their first bout on Monday, March 20th, with a first place title.

Over 60 Skutt Catholic students showed up to the UNO Thompson Alumni center to witness the SlamHawks successful return to the microphones.

After taking first place in their second bout on Sunday, March 26th, as well, the SlamHawks continue to show what they can do. 

Photo by Maria Koliopoulos
(from left to right) Sophomore Clara Pohlman, and juniors Hope Stratman and Chris King performing on March 26th

Slam poetry in and of itself is a cathartic experience unlike any other.

As Skutt Catholic junior Chris King puts it, “It’s kind of hard to explain what performing at a slam feels like. When performing at slam, you don’t have a set beat or music or anything like that,’ says King. “Instead, you have you. You are performing a piece that you wrote, or for group pieces, [a piece that] a friend wrote. You aren’t performing somebody else’s thoughts, you are performing a part of you, and the audience gets that.”

The audience dynamic plays a large part in the therapeutic environment created by the poets.

“I love the energy of simply being at bouts, because, first of all, everyone is so welcoming and friendly,” says Skutt Catholic sophomore Kelsey Hanna. “I love that people aren’t afraid to share their feelings and thoughts, especially when they’re about mental health, because talking about it is always the first step,” Hanna continues.

Photo by Maria Koliopoulos
(from left to right) Freshman Abby Pearson, juniors Lily Yates and Chris King, and sophomore Kelsey Hanna performing on March 26th

Many do find a home in slam’s arms, and it is no different for Skutt Catholic’s very own senior and four year slam poet Becky Snowden. “LTAB has been the highlight of my high school career. Slam is more than points. Hell, it’s more than poetry. It’s my family,” says Snowden. “It’s a great group of people, a fantastically talented and hardworking coach, and an overwhelmingly accepting and supportive community,” Snowden continues.

“Without slam, I don’t know who I would be. And honestly, I don’t know if I would’ve survived. I’m probably more invested in it than I should be, but that’s fine. It’s been my honor to be a part of this crazy team for four years. I’m gonna miss the ridiculous energy of it all, but for now I’ll bask in it the same way I did my very first year.”

Photo by Maria Koliopoulos
Senior Becky Snowden performing on March 26th

Here’s to another successful SlamHawk season. Come out and support your SlamHawks at their next bout on April 4th at the Joslyn.

Maria Koliopoulos

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in show choir at Skutt Catholic and is probably climbing a tree or drawing outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]