• Come to our Theology Thursday where we will be talking about Charlottesville and the Catholic response to white supremacy.

• Angels prayer group will be meeting on Thursday at 6:45am

• All Summer Service hours are due in x2vol.com by Sept. 1st.

• Seniors: Appointments have been scheduled with your guidance counselor next week.

• This Friday is an All School Spirit Dress Day

• This Friday's Football Game is a WHITE OUT!

• AP Biology and Pollen Nation Club will be hosting a bake sale this Wednesday!

• Attention Boys Basketball Players! There will be a mandatory meeting after school on Thursday for anyone planning to tryout for basketball this season and NOT in a fall sport.

• Father Harrison will be available daily in the new confessional in the chapel for confessions. Every Monday and Wednesday

• It is not too late to join Robotics. First meeting is Tuesday, August 29 at 5:00pm in D110.

State Speech Spells Success

The state competition brings new voices to victory and builds hope for future

Hope Stratman, Copy Editor

Photo by Amanda Pohlman

Senior Amanda Pohlman and junior Cal Strawhecker

Your stiff suit swishes as you walk, your dress shoes clicking. You swallow and, finding your throat dry, mutter a quick warmup about coffee pots to find your voice again. After all, in this moment your voice is your most important asset. As you reach the door of the room, you take a deep breath and walk in to finish what you started six months ago.

This is exactly what 15 of Skutt Catholic’s speech students experienced on Thursday, March 23 at the state speech competition. The competitors, as well as a group of supporters and coaches, dedicated Wednesday and Thursday to preparing for and competing in the state meet, held in University of Nebraska-Kearney. Between playing Catchphrase on the bus, reading emotional letters from parents, and walking up to accept medals, the trip down to Kearney was one to remember.

Photo by Brent Goetzinger
The speech team at UNK

The bus for Kearney set out at 7:45 a.m on Wednesday. The trip, including stops at Applebee’s and Walmart, lasted about four hours. After arriving in Kearney, the team stopped at University of Nebraska-Kearney, where the state meet would be held the next day. The competitors went to the rooms that they would be performing in at the meet to get comfortable in them.

Then came the day of state itself. Hopes were high; Skutt Catholic was tied with York for the most events put through districts and taken to state, thus giving them good chances at the state title.

However, as the first round grew nearer, nerves got shakier. Junior Caroline Hilgert had to psych herself up; “Before my first round at state,” she says, “I remember trying to convince myself that it was just a normal round at a speech meet, nothing special. I prepared myself to give my best speech possible, and I delivered it the best I could.”

The rest of the SkyHawks followed suit, giving their all in their respective events. However, they quickly found that the competition at state was much tougher than anything they had experienced before, and events that had gotten first or second in previous meets didn’t even break finals at state. “I felt like I did really well in my rounds,” says junior Rachel Oberfell, “But the problem was that everyone else was really good too.” In the end, only five of the SkyHawks’ 14 events broke into finals for Class B.

Photo by Amanda Pohlman
The five SkyHawks that broke finals

After the five events had competed in finals with their fellow teammates cheering them on, the most anticipated time of the day had come: awards. The final results included Sam Wiegand and Emerson Hughes getting sixth and fifth in Entertainment Speaking, Caroline Hilgert being named third in Persuasive Speaking, Cal Strawhecker and Ava Dreessen getting second in Duet Acting, and Cal Strawhecker claiming the title of state champion in Humorous Interpretation.

Overall, the SkyHawks ended up tying for second place in team rank. “Getting second is a huge accomplishment,” says Caroline Hilgert, “And I’m extremely proud of my team because we all kept our heads up all day and performed our best.”

Hilgert’s brother and Skutt speech coach Jack Hilgert agrees, saying, “I feel extremely proud of how the competition turned out. There are always certain events which we had thought should have been placed in state finals or ranked higher, but overall I believe a state runner-up title is a testament to the team’s efforts this year.”

Photo by Amanda Pohlman
Jack and Caroline Hilgert

Spirits were high on the bus ride home Thursday night, and at 9:30 p.m., 19 tired but happy speech kids arrived back at Skutt Catholic and headed for home.

2017 state speech was a definite success. The team’s second place finish is a reflection of the team’s and the coaches’ hard work; it is also a beacon of hope for the program, which has been rebuilding itself for the past two years. In addition, the state competition itself was an insane amount of fun.

All things considered, the SkyHawks speech season, begun in October, culminated in victory.

Hope Stratman - Features Editor

Hope became a member of The Flightline in August of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in activities including Speech and FBLA. Outside of school, she enjoys lists, photography, and naming inanimate objects. You can email her at [email protected]