• Come to our Theology Thursday where we will be talking about Charlottesville and the Catholic response to white supremacy.

• Angels prayer group will be meeting on Thursday at 6:45am

• All Summer Service hours are due in x2vol.com by Sept. 1st.

• Seniors: Appointments have been scheduled with your guidance counselor next week.

• This Friday is an All School Spirit Dress Day

• This Friday's Football Game is a WHITE OUT!

• AP Biology and Pollen Nation Club will be hosting a bake sale this Wednesday!

• Attention Boys Basketball Players! There will be a mandatory meeting after school on Thursday for anyone planning to tryout for basketball this season and NOT in a fall sport.

• Father Harrison will be available daily in the new confessional in the chapel for confessions. Every Monday and Wednesday

• It is not too late to join Robotics. First meeting is Tuesday, August 29 at 5:00pm in D110.

“Beauty and the Beast” Remake Outshines Original

Newly premiered “Beauty and the Beast” exceeds expectations- and the 1991 animation

xBenQCatx

Maria Miller, Birdfeed Editor

When Disney announced that they were going to remake “Beauty and the Beast,” I was skeptical to say the least. The original animated version was vastly loved by many people, which set the bar extremely high, and it consisted of so many characters that aren’t actually alive in real life. I was worried about how the highly personified characters would translate with acting and into CGI (we all know how easily that can go wrong). Right off the bat, the movie was looking at a pretty steep uphill battle even before its premiere.

The first ray of hope that Disney’s newest version of “Beauty and the Beast” exhibited was the casting. The cast featured diversity in many ways, and they still kept it true to the original cartoon. Casting Emma Watson as ‘Belle’ could not have been more true to the character. Her personality mirrors Belle’s in many ways: commitment and passion for academics, putting others before herself, and most importantly, an overwhelming amount of strength.

Photo by youtube.com
Emma Waston, as Belle, teaching Robby Benson, the Beast, to pet her horse, Philippe.

The film had definitely gathered a lot of hype prior to opening night. Stellar reviews had been published and critics raved about a variety of things, but especially Watson’s portrayal of Belle. I was still holding onto the doubt that the remake couldn’t exceed the original, but by the end of my viewing, that doubt was well extinguished.

The plot itself stuck to the original in most respects and added an unexpected amount of depth. They brought insight into a significant amount of the classic characters, including Belle’s mother and father, Gaston’s sidekick Lefou, and — most prominently — the Beast. They gave his negative personality traits just roots and embellished his humanity, which is something the original one hour and fifty-minute movie just did not have time to do.

Photo by Kevin Carl
Cogsworth, Lumière, Mrs. Potts, and Babette 1991 verses 2017.

I was pleasantly surprised by the special effects and CGI. The fan favorites like Lumière, Cogsworth, Chip, Mrs. Potts, and Babette were all beautifully designed and animated. They even added a new CGI character, Maestro Cadenza, a harpsichord/maestro who is married to an opera singer, Madame Garderobe, who becomes Belle’s wardrobe. The effects on Belle’s dress, the curse, the mirror, and in countless moments throughout the castle were stunning and well placed.

The 2017 movie had a few divergences from the 1991 version, but most of them were additions that were, personally, very well received and only improved the overall quality of the film. If you enjoyed the cartoon, you must make sure: do not miss this remake.

Lily Yates - Quintessence Editor-in-Chief

Lily became a member of The Flightline in August of 2015. She is a senior this year and enjoys an array of activities including choir, theatre and slam poetry. She is also on staff as a library aide at the Omaha Public Library. You can email her at [email protected]