• Come to our Theology Thursday where we will be talking about Charlottesville and the Catholic response to white supremacy.

• Angels prayer group will be meeting on Thursday at 6:45am

• All Summer Service hours are due in x2vol.com by Sept. 1st.

• Seniors: Appointments have been scheduled with your guidance counselor next week.

• This Friday is an All School Spirit Dress Day

• This Friday's Football Game is a WHITE OUT!

• AP Biology and Pollen Nation Club will be hosting a bake sale this Wednesday!

• Attention Boys Basketball Players! There will be a mandatory meeting after school on Thursday for anyone planning to tryout for basketball this season and NOT in a fall sport.

• Father Harrison will be available daily in the new confessional in the chapel for confessions. Every Monday and Wednesday

• It is not too late to join Robotics. First meeting is Tuesday, August 29 at 5:00pm in D110.

Logan: A Fitting End to Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine

The latest Wolverine movie sends fans on an emotional and action packed adventure

Rob Killgore

Bob Killgore, Posters Coordinator

Comic book fans and moviegoers are raving about Hugh Jackman’s last film playing Wolverine in “Logan.” After 17 years of playing Wolverine, Jackman’s final movie features him as a battle-weary and grizzled Wolverine. His healing power is almost gone. Mutants are rare now, and Wolverine spends his time taking care of Professor X and as a chauffeur. However, when a young mutant is in need of help, Wolverine must unsheathe his claws one last time.

Warning: spoilers ahead!

After Wolverine finished driving a client, he went to his hideout to give Professor X his medicine because of his brain disease. While Wolverine was giving the Professor his medicine, he told Wolverine that he was talking to a young mutant who has powers just like him. Wolverine said that was impossible, but later in the movie, he was asked to take a girl to South Dakota. Logan initially refused but said yes after he was given $20,000.

However, once Logan takes the girl, Laura, to his hideout, the dark forces chasing Laura come after her to capture her. What followed was a great fight scene, where we see Logan and Laura slice and dice through their attackers and escape. This was a great way to introduce Laura and showed just how dangerous she can be. My favorite part of the fight scene was that very little CGI was used, which made the battle sequence memorable.

I was taken aback by the surprising villain of X-24, a clone of Wolverine who was built to kill. One night, Laura, Logan, and Professor X stayed with a family they helped on the road. While Professor X was sleeping, X-24 killed him. He also tried to capture Laura, but Logan managed to get her back and they escaped. One of the most emotional parts of the film was when Wolverine was standing over Professor X’s grave, as he lost the only father figure he ever had. It’s also a powerful scene, and I could feel Logan’s pain as he stood by Professor X’s grave.

My favorite sequences of “Logan” occurred at the end of the movie. Once Laura and Logan arrived in South Dakota, there was a group of mutant kids who had made a makeshift home. Eventually, they planned to cross the Canadian border and escape from the people who were hunting them, the Reavers. The kids run to the border and, while this is happening, Logan wakes up from his sleep and notices the Reavers, in pursuit. To be able to help save the kids, Logan drank medicine that would get him back to his old self temporarily.

As the Reavers chased the young mutants, Logan sprinted into the woods and helped Laura take down most of the Reavers. Then some of the Reavers and X-24 caught up to the mutants. On Logan’s cue, Laura fought the Reavers and Logan fought X-24 to help free the mutants. The mutants did escape, but it came at a great cost that left moviegoers in tears. These last scenes and the somber ending was executed perfectly. They left me walking out of the theaters feeling very satisfied, but somber as Hugh Jackman will never play Wolverine again.

“Logan” is a terrific movie because of its great actors, fight scenes, and plot. Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman had their best performance of their respected characters. The fights scenes were excellent and couldn’t have been better. “Logan” will be loved by comic book fans and moviegoers alike and is worth the watch.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]