Swimming State Meet Brings Successes and Disappointments for SkyHawks

Swimmers excel in 500 freestyle, girls disqualify in 200 medley

The boys state team poses by the pool. Left to right: Jack Kramer, Ryan Chapman, Levi Kicken, Eric Melrose, and Ryan Mendick

Photo by Kerri Davis Photography

Photo by Kerri Davis Photography

Photo by Kerri Davis Photography

Tom Hermanek, Features Editor

You win some, you lose some: this was the story of the performance of the SkyHawk swim team at this year’s state meet.

Much like the season as a whole, the team had some great achievements by young swimmers in the 500 freestyle, though the team suffered some bitter disappointments in the boys and girls medley relays.

The meet began on a frustrating note for the SkyHawks when the girls team disqualified in the very first event of the meet, the girls 200 medley relay.

“Going into the day, we were very confident with the work that we had been putting in, and we were ready to finish the season with a strong ending,” junior Mac Modde says. “[We were hoping for] a win in the consolation heat of the 200 medley relay,” she says.

“It really is a bitter feeling knowing that a tenth of a second was the ‘make it or break it’ of this relay’s season,” Modde continues. “However, after reflecting on the outcome of the race, I can tell that this will only make our relay team stronger.”

Despite the disappointment involved in the first event, the meet was far from over. The biggest event of the meet for the SkyHawks was the girls’ 500 yard freestyle. Three SkyHawk swimmers competed in the first heat of the event at the state finals on Saturday: junior Zoe Weland, freshmen Rachel Weland, and freshman Maggie Kramer.

Anyone following SkyHawk swimming knows that Kramer was certainly one to watch going into the meet, as she had just set the school record at the conference meet just two weeks earlier. That record was previously held by alumnus and collegiate swimmer Anna Capoun.

Naturally, Kramer aimed to further improve her time at state. “One of my biggest goals throughout the whole season was to make it to state individually,” Kramer said, “So it really pushed me throughout the season.”

Although Kramer finished with a remarkable time of 5:31.16 in the 500, she was disappointed not to beat her own school record time of 5:27.19. Regardless, her times are nothing short of impressive, especially considering her young age.

“I think Maggie Kramer has a lot of potential,” says head coach Kellie Harris. “She’s a whirlwind of energy, but she’s learning how to channel it into the proper directions.”

As for the boys, the medley relay of sophomores Jack Kramer and Levi Kicken (of Mount Michael) along with juniors Ryan Chapman and Ryan Mendick placed 22nd overall. Unfortunately, they failed to advance to the finals but still finished with a solid time of 1:47.35.

Although this year’s state performance certainly wasn’t the SkyHawk swim team’s best ever, the SkyHawks still had some significant accomplishments. Combine these with the fact that every single state athlete will have the chance to return next year, and it’s clear that the team’s outlook is a positive one.

“Last year, I was lucky enough to watch state. I knew from the moment finals started that I wanted to someday be on the medal stand,” Kramer says. “It may not have happened this year, but I have three more years to get there.”

Tom Hermanek - Managing Editor

Tom became a member of The Flightline in January of 2015. He is a senior who is involved in mock trial and swimming. Off campus, Tom spends his time with friends or working at Starbucks. You can email him at [email protected]