Skutt Catholic Says Goodbye To Class Ranks

Skutt Catholic joins nearly half of nation’s high schools in move to eliminate class rankings

Photo by Sansone Accounting and Tax

Sam Wiegand, Sports Editor

Unknown to the majority of the student body at Skutt Catholic High School, a few years ago, a monumental change occurred in the guidance office. This change hasn’t actually affected this year’s seniors, but has affected everyone else. The school has eliminated class ranks.

Class rank is a system that ranks students entirely on GPA. This ranking system is used by most schools in America, and is part of some scholarships and college applications.

The class of 2018 is the first class at Skutt Catholic to have nothing to do with this system. This is actually a benefit to a majority of students, as class rank was not a fair measure of academic achievement, says Mrs. Kristen Reeves, head of the guidance department at Skutt Catholic.

“At a school as competitive as ours, class rank isn’t the best option [for measuring student achievement],” Reeves said. “It was not beneficial due to the amount of overachieving students here.”

Unbeknownst to a majority of the student body, this change took place back in 2014, with the student body’s best interest at heart.

Just hearing the news, most students didn’t buy in right away. “I think it’s a bad idea,” said junior Zephyr Desa. “I want to know where I rank compared to others.”

However, a prime example of the unfairness of the system can be found in the show choir ‘class.’ This extracurricular activity actually counts as a class, and earns students fine arts credits, despite the meeting being outside of normal school hours. Since it doesn’t count as an honors class, it can only give a students  4.0 grade points. Students who take mostly honors classes, however, can actually have their GPA, and ultimately their class rank, brought down by this extracurricular activity.

“I don’t think it’s fair,” senior and show choir participant Johnna Lowe said. “Just because it’s during ‘0 hour’ doesn’t mean it should count towards our transcript. It’s just like any other activity.”

By eliminating this less-than-perfect system of measuring student achievement, Skutt Catholic joins nearly half of all high schools in the United States in a move toward more fair and accurate student transcripts.