Defying Expectations

How haters are really our motivators

Cheerleader+Emily+Drueke+performs+at+a+prenationals+practice.+

Defying Expectations

Cheerleader Emily Drueke performs at a prenationals practice.

Photo by Ava Dreessen

Photo by Ava Dreessen

Photo by Ava Dreessen

Maddie Mollner, Staff Reporter

Possibly the most annoying and upsetting thing about being a person, no matter what age, is having people tell you what your limits are. As a person who is very competitive, the one thing that has stood true throughout my entire life is that I am able to do anything as long as someone tells me I can’t do it. The most satisfying part of scoring a goal in a sport or getting a good grade is proving someone wrong in the process.

It’s almost as if the words “you can’t” are stepping stones to success. With every crude remark about one’s inabilities comes a new step to reach the top. When an athlete or a student is told what they’re not allowed or not expected to accomplish, they can be found digging so much deeper into themselves in order to achieve the unachievable.

Photo by SkyHawk Wrestling Twitter
SkyHawk Wrestling team posing after taking the championship, first runner up, and second runner up at state

This can be proven true by the latest state championship-winning teams from Skutt Catholic: wrestling, dance team, and cheer. Although much can be said about the prominent amount of talent and ability on all three of these teams, more can be said about the doubts placed on them this year for multiple reasons.

Photo by Skutt Dance Team Instagram
SkyHawk Dance Team posing with both of their state championship trophies

I know from a personal perspective that cheerleading was a team that was beyond underestimated this year. Having lost five amazing seniors last year, it was a shock, even to the team, that we could hit the same if not more advanced stunts, much less win another state title.

However, we as a team managed to pull together in order to prove doubting students, parents, and even coaches exponentially wrong. The feeling of having your team’s name called as first place feels even better knowing that you earned it despite the absence of old teammates.

Photo by Kelsey Gazda
SkyHawk Cheer Team posing with their state championship and runner-up trophies

In the sixth grade, I made a bet with my mom one night that if I scored a goal in my select soccer game that I could quit the team. She happily obliged, knowing deep down that I, of all people, would never be able to score, as I hadn’t come close throughout the entire season.

However, as the minutes were running short in the second half, I somehow managed to sneak a shot into the corner of the goal off of an assist. I looked for my mom in the stands with a sly expression on my face and was able to abandon my select soccer career that night. From that moment, I knew that a significant amount of my motivation was concreted in others’ doubt.

Whether it’s by winning state or acing the most impossible math test in the world, doing so with the knowledge that someone said you couldn’t is one of the most accomplished feelings. The final thing I’d like to leave you with is to always remember that the only limits you have are the ones you set for yourself.

Maddie Mollner

Maddie joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school, she reads, collects flamboyant socks and hangs out in parks with her friends. You can email her at [email protected]