• Come to our Theology Thursday where we will be talking about Charlottesville and the Catholic response to white supremacy.

• Angels prayer group will be meeting on Thursday at 6:45am

• All Summer Service hours are due in x2vol.com by Sept. 1st.

• Seniors: Appointments have been scheduled with your guidance counselor next week.

• This Friday is an All School Spirit Dress Day

• This Friday's Football Game is a WHITE OUT!

• AP Biology and Pollen Nation Club will be hosting a bake sale this Wednesday!

• Attention Boys Basketball Players! There will be a mandatory meeting after school on Thursday for anyone planning to tryout for basketball this season and NOT in a fall sport.

• Father Harrison will be available daily in the new confessional in the chapel for confessions. Every Monday and Wednesday

• It is not too late to join Robotics. First meeting is Tuesday, August 29 at 5:00pm in D110.

Editorial: Activities Receive Backlash from Teachers

Why activity-related absences are causing students stress

Molly Gubbels, Entertainment Editor

As the 2016-2017 school year really heats up, many students are being pulled out of school for various activities. Though these activities have led to slightly more vacant classrooms, teachers have begun taking unnecessary offense toward their absences, leading to a great deal of stress for involved students. We at the Flightline have taken notice of this absence of empathy, and we believe that something needs to change, and soon.

Skutt Catholic is renowned for its immensely talented participants in everything from football and cross country to speech and dance team – so why are these participants being punished? Activities and involvement lead to competitions and championships which, in turn, lead to missing faces in class. Many teachers, however, are casting a negative light on these excused absences.

Students school-wide are feeling the stress that comes along with the confession that they’ll be missing class for this, that, or the other thing. In fact, they’re receiving so much backlash that students are actually bargaining with each other about who will have to tell the teacher they’ll be leaving.

With seven other classes promising plenty of homework, as well as practices and competitions, it seems hardly fair to add an extra load of stress on these already-busy students. “My favorite thing at Skutt [Catholic],” says senior Sarah Schrader, “is that you can be involved in activities and so many teachers are okay with that when it doesn’t affect them, but when it does affect them, they get upset. Now, on top of the stress over making up work, you’re disappointed that your teachers are upset when you thought they supported you.”

This is not to mention the anxiety that comes with the knowledge that these competitions are often times not choices, but obligations put forward by coaches and mentors. It’s not as if these students are dipping metaphorical thermometers into hot coffee simply to fake an ailment that can only be cured by Humorous Interpretation in Conestoga, or a trip to Disney Land for dance or cheer national championships.

Unfortunately, what many teachers neglect to understand is that this is the small price we must pay for talent. Our athletes, intellectuals and performers alike have earned this school its position as one of the most fierce competitors in Nebraska. This, of course, means that in order to keep our title, we have to be willing to send our students out without resentment and create an environment conducive of their creativity and talent.

Thus, when a student requests the assignments for their future days of absence, we ask that they not receive sighs of disappointment or complaints, but rather an understanding of the surrounding circumstances. While we understand the importance of Pearl Harbor and “A Tale of Two Cities,” one must also understand the importance of fostering a positive environment and its effects on our students.