New School Records Earn Swimmers Third-Place District Finish

Skutt Catholic swimming takes on RCC district contest with great success.

Bob Killgore, Posters Editor

The RCC meet at the end of the season features every team in the conference competing against each other. It also marks the end of the season for most of the swimmers. It is one final opportunity for swimmers to improve their times and end their season on a high note. This is the final chance to race in a meet for the 2016-2017 season, other than State. This Saturday, Ralston hosted the RCC conference swim meet.

The meet started off well for both girls and boys, as both were at third place when the 15-minute break began. At the end of meet, both would finish at the same place. Two of the best highlights during this meet were the 500 freestyle races.

For the girls, freshman Maggie Kramer shattered all expectations by breaking the school record in her 500 freestyle race. Her time was 5:27:19. and beat Anna Capoun’s time of 5:27:30, set in 2015. “I was shocked and overjoyed when I looked at my time,” Kramer said. “It was a great moment for me and I will never forget it,” Kramer continued.

After the girls 500 freestyle, it was the boys’ turn. Another Kramer family member also swam in the race, sophomore Jack Kramer. Like Maggie, Jack went in to earn a school record with a time of 5:15:40. The previous record was owned by Luca Parolin, set in 2013.

“I thought I had a good chance I’d break the record,” sophomore Jack Kramer said. “When I looked at my time, I was really surprised that I did so well”, Kramer continued. The last two events and the entire day couldn’t have gone much better for Jack and Maggie as they accomplished two great feats. With Jack and Maggie each currently underclassmen, they have amazing talent and time to improve on these already record times.

There were other events that went well for Skutt Catholic. The girls 200 medley relay finished 2nd and in the girls 200 free, Maggie Kramer was 3rd, Rachel Weland finished 4th, and Sarah Kramer finished 5th. In the boys 200 IM, Ryan Chapman finished 4th and Ryan Mendick 6th. Chapman’s time was 2:19:61. Mendick also out touched someone to place 3rd in the 100 breaststroke. His time was 1:06:76.

Mac Modde earned 4th in the 100 freestyle with a time of 58.00 seconds. Cecilia Ferrer placed 4th in the girls 200 IM with a time of 2:30:56. And the girls 200 freestyle relay and 400 relay each placed in 3rd. “The swim meet went great,” coach James Justice said. “We had several relays and individual swimmers qualify for state meet,” Justice continued.

“Everyone dropped their time or went their best for the season and was a success because our team came together and helped each other out,” Justice continued. “I am very excited for the state meet and the future of Skutt Catholic Swimming.” Overall this meet went fantastic for the SkyHawks and ended a great season for them. But for some swimmers, they will swim in the state meet on Friday, February 24th.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]