Not Top Ten Plays: Skutt Catholic Winter Sports Edition

The worst plays winter sports has to offer

Bob Killgore, Posters Coordinator

The Not Top Ten Plays features the worst plays athletes run during one week during Friday’s weekly SportsCenter edition. It’s a great way to end the week and always provides fans a great laugh. The reel features all kinds of sports, from NFL football to people chasing cheese in Great Britain.

Some of the most famous Not Top Ten plays include 50 Cent’s first pitch before a New York Mets game, a high school football team blocking a field goal but celebrating too early so the other team scored the game-winning touchdown, and Mark Sanchez’s infamous butt-fumble.

The butt-fumble lasted 40 weeks on the worst of the worst and would have kept going, but Sportscenter had to retire it because the anchors became so sick of seeing it every Friday. Though none of these are butt-fumble worthy, these are some of the worst plays Skutt Catholic winter sports made this 2016 season.

Boys basketball
There is a variety of ways to get to the Not Top Ten plays in this sport. Some of them include missed dunks, players throwing the ball and accidentally hitting a fan, or the most tragic – players shooting air balls from the free throw line. One Skutt Catholic basketball player, Mason Cushing, knows the deadly feeling of shooting an air ball all too well, as he did it in a game just recently this season.

Girls basketball
For girls, a couple of plays this year have managed to fit the criteria of a Not Top Ten play. One play featured two players colliding with each other trying to get the ball earlier this season. Another play featured  Sidney McDermott struggling with some “footwork” from a game earlier this season.

Bowling
To be fair, bowling isn’t a sport that has been featured on the Not Top Ten much, but some plays feature rolling a gutterball or having a perfect score on your last frame, but losing it when the rack comes down. One Skutt Catholic bowler lost all control of the ball and actually sent it in the wrong lane. On another occasion, a bowler rolled a gutterball in her very first frame.

Wrestling
Like bowling, wrestling isn’t featured on the Not Top Ten often. However, some ways one can be a part of this is whiffing while attempting to grab an opponent or slipping even before a fight with the opponent. Just before his match, one wrestler actually tripped and fell. Another wrestler went for the grab, but failed and suffered the consequences.

It’s always unfortunate to be featured in the Not Top Ten plays for any athlete, not to mention hard to live down. But if you find yourself part of this story, keep your head up. Even the best of the best have been included: Lebron James, Tom Brady, Kevin Durant, and Russell Westbrook, to name a few. Those guys turned out just fine and, Skutt Catholic athletes, so will your winter season.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]