Let’s Go Back to the Good ‘ol Days

How technology changed society, and maybe not for the better.

Let’s Go Back to the Good ‘ol Days

Even the older generations are obsessed with iPhones

Photo by Maddie Mollner

Photo by Maddie Mollner

Photo by Maddie Mollner

Maddie Mollner, Staff Reporter

Technology is a key essence of the world today. While it has started a revolution in education, medicine, and other industries that promote the progression of human life, it also comes with negative repercussions.

Our thumbs are endlessly drowning in an incessant cycle of typing. Obviously I’m not here to attack technology as a whole; I would just like to rekindle the flame of a simpler time, before hoverboards and Bluetooth headphones were the biggest of our problems.

Not only has the way people communicate changed entirely, but so has the way we think, and I’m not sure that it’s for the better. Everything you can imagine is available at the tap of a screen. I sometimes even catch myself trying to zoom in on a piece of paper.

Youner and younger kids are becoming more focused on technology than what is going on around them. Pc: Kayley Anderson

It would be nice, if only just for a short time, to sojourn back to the “good old days,” to a world where not every six-year-old has an iPad. I say this with the realization that I, myself, spend an immeasurable amount of time on my phone, but also possess an incredible nostalgia for how things used to be.

I still savor the days when I would run down to the “computer room” of my house with my friends and play on an old, busted desktop computer that struggled to load each page for five minutes. Now that everything is wireless, it’s hard to imagine the countless hours spent trying to untangle cords endlessly spiraling from the computer. I long to travel back in time so I can once again gawk with jealousy at my peers who had a Nintendo DS™, as if it were the most impressive invention since sliced bread. The cell phone I learned to text on is completely obsolete, as if one day we as humans decided there could be no such thing as a keypad anymore.

I somewhat pity the elementary school-aged youth of the present, as they are stuck reading books like Good Night iPad and learning how to install an app on their parents’ phones at age two. They will never know the excitement that came with receiving a new Webkinz, logging on to Club Penguin, or seeing your favorite celebrity draw Mickey Mouse’s ears on old Disney Channel.

As a kindergartener in the ancient year of 2006, I only knew of clunky keyboards and flip phones, having no idea as to what massive turn humanity would take in the direction of technology in a mere 10 years. I’m not denying that technology has helped the world develop in many positive ways, but rather feeling abandoned by the days of real live textbooks and actually playing pool instead of dragging my finger across a screen.

Despite all the benefits of having the advanced technology that we do, there will always be a void in my heart that can only be filled by the glory days of our technology-less past.