Swimmers and Coaches Compete at Anticipated Relay Meet

SkyHawks have solid performance at most enjoyable meet of season

A Skutt Catholic swimmer sprints a 50 freestyle during the girls 8x50 relay.

Photo by Kayley Anderson

Photo by Kayley Anderson

Photo by Kayley Anderson

Tom Hermanek, Features Editor

While most students were sitting at home, living in denial of the end of their winter break and the long semester ahead, athletes on the Skutt Catholic/Mount Michael swim team were participating in one of the most enjoyable meets of the year: the annual all-relay meet.

The meet, hosted by Brownell Talbot, was different from most swim meets–it was relatively small, with only five teams in the competition, and it consisted solely of relays.

“This meet was so much more fun than the others,” says senior Marcus Judah. “It’s all relays and most of the events don’t officially exist, so, instead of being stressful, it’s a great chance to let loose and have fun.”

“For example, I swam the backstroke relay at the meet, which is not a real NSAA sanctioned event, so it was just for fun,” Judah continues.

The relays ranged from the conventional ones that are held at every meet (the 200 medley and the 200 & 400 freestyle) to some that were more creative, like the 200 backstroke, butterfly, and breaststroke as well as the crescendo 500 freestyle, which was comprised of four legs–50, 100, 150, and 200 yards, respectively.

“What made it really interesting was that we had to dive in with a relay start to avoid hitting whoever was swimming in for us, and then flip over underwater soon after,” says Judah.

There were several highlights of the meet for the SkyHawks. The girls 800 freestyle relay of Zoe Weland, Tori Barclay, Amanda Edwards and Maggie Kramer took first, and the boys 200 breaststroke relay of Ryan Chapman, Eric Melrose, Skylar Davis, and Ryan Mendick did the same.

Other great SkyHawk finishes include the girls 4×100 Individual Medley relay of Rachel Weland, Sofia and Cecilia Ferrer, and Mac Modde, which placed first.

Kayley Anderson
Swimmers preparing to execute relay dives. Clockwise, from top left: junior Stevie Yaghmour, senior Josh Schmidt, senior Marcus Judah, and junior Ryan Chapman.

Perhaps the most enjoyable event of the meet was the 8×50 freestyle relay, in which eight swimmers sprinted 50 yards each for a total of 400 yards. Since there were a whopping eight swimmers in each lane, there was a lot of team spirit involved, which made for a hard-fought but enjoyable race.

Overall, the team had a solid performance, with the girls team taking second place and the guys claiming third.

But the events in which high school athletes took part paled in comparison to the crown jewel of the meet: the coaches relay.

The relay is one that swimmers and coaches alike look forward to all year.

“Getting to see the coaches swim is always a blast,” says senior Hunter Warder.

“We had been planning for it all season–we even ordered our own special caps,” says head coach Kellie Harris, “but it’s also nerve-racking. I’d hate to do something stupid in front of the team, but I don’t train the way that I used to.

While Harris was impressed with the team, she wasn’t quite satisfied with her own performance. “I was super disappointed not to do under 30 [seconds] in my 50 freestyle, though that was never my best event,” said Harris.

However, the fact that a coaches relay is held just proves something Harris always tells her team: “Swimming is a life sport. Once you know what to do, you can do it for the rest of your life.”

Tom Hermanek - Managing Editor

Tom became a member of The Flightline in January of 2015. He is a senior who is involved in mock trial and swimming. Off campus, Tom spends his time with friends or working at Starbucks. You can email him at [email protected]