CFP National Championship Game Preview

Alabama and Clemson meet again for the championship

Bob Killgore, Posters Coordinator

As Clemson and Alabama won their semifinal games against Washington and Ohio State, college football fans rejoiced as they get the rematch they dreamed of. They were reminded of the thrilling first matchup last championship game, which Alabama won 45-40. Fans just hope this rematch lives up to the first meeting between these two teams.

For Clemson, they have one of the most electrifying quarterbacks in the country this year in Deshaun Watson, who was 6th in the nation in total passing yards and threw 38 touchdowns. Watson also throws for 327.8 yards per game, which is 7th in the nation. He also leads a Clemson team that scores 38.0 points per game. Watson also led this team to a 13-1 record, an ACC championship, and a #2 ranking. Last year, he played in the championship game, where he threw for 405 passing yards and ran for 73 yards. This set the record for most total yards in a championship game, with 478 yards. Watson dominated against one of the best defenses in the nation last year, and he will try to do the same this year.

For Alabama, they had a much different situation at quarterback. In the championship game last season, the Crimson Tide had a senior transfer from Florida State named Jake Coker. This year, Alabama has a true freshman starting named Jalen Hurts. Hurts was the first true freshman to start at Alabama since Vince Sutton back in 1984. Hurts played well in his freshman year, throwing for 22 touchdowns and only 9 interceptions. Hurts then went on to make more history by being the first true freshman starting in a title game since Jamelle Holieway, in 1985, where he would win the title with Oklahoma. Hurts will try to accomplish this same task later tonight.

The real strength of the Tide has been the suffocating defense this season. Alabama has once again maintains an amazing defense this year, giving up only 11.4 points per game. At home, they give up 7.5 points per game, which is 2nd best in the nation. The Crimson Tide have scored 11 defensive touchdowns this season, 5 of them being fumble return touchdowns and 6 of them being interception return touchdowns. They are number one in this category, with the next closest team having 7 defensive touchdowns. Alabama also only gives up 62.0 yards per game on the ground and allow 244.0 yards per game. They are number one in these categories. This defense is ridiculously talented and will need to force some Clemson turnovers to beat Watson for a second time.

Now after a week of hype, the big game is finally here tonight. Fans can enjoy this matchup and watch as the great Alabama defense tries to stop Deshaun Watson for the second straight year. This game has been in the making since the season started so enjoy this special rematch of two top notch programs. Experts pick Alabama winning narrowly and the Crimson Tide is favored by 6.5 over the Tigers. Personally, I think that Alabama will make enough plays defensive to beat Clemson 28-21.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]