• 5/10 : Spring Choir Concert in the Skutt Catholic Commons @ 7

• 5/4 : Hawk Walk!

Kate Walz: From Omaha to Paris

The Millard North senior takes her designs worldwide .

Photo by Getty Images

Hannah Klemme, Entertainment Editor

It has always been one of my wildest dreams to show in Paris, and getting to do so on the Eiffel Tower was completely surreal.”

— Kate Walz

As fashion icon Kate Spade once said, “Playing dress up begins at age five and never truly ends.” Millard North senior Kate Walz is living proof that Spade knew exactly what she was talking about.

While most eight year old girls were preoccupied with who had the most Webkinz or who was the biggest Hannah Montana fan, Kate was busy experimenting with her own fashion designs. At the age of twelve, she was entering her creations into shows at Omaha Fashion Week. Now, at age seventeen, Walz is walking her gowns down a featured runway on top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Well, that escalated quickly. Out of thousands of candidates from over thirty countries, Walz was the lone designer to be chosen from the United States. This is the first time anyone has ever had an event of such sorts on top of France’s prized possession. This past week, Walz, along with seven other designers from all over the world, strutted their stuff down a runway on the Eiffel Tower.

When asked to describe her feelings towards this extraordinary occurrence, Kate talked about how she couldn’t be more grateful for the opportunity. “I am so honored to have been the only designer chosen from the United States for the first fashion show ever on the Eiffel Tower. It has always been one of my wildest dreams to show in Paris, and getting to do so on the Eiffel Tower was completely surreal,” said Walz. It seems as if the teen has gotten some time in the spotlight as several large name companies have begun to notice her. “I have gotten a lot of great press from the show so far, and have been in international magazines such as Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, and Vogue.” Even though the young designer is over the moon about her experience, she has stayed humble in the process and is carrying on with her life like any other teenage girl.

Kate is an example to all of us, showing how anything can be done while aiming towards a greater goal. Several girls here at Skutt Catholic look up to Kate as an inspiration and have followed her fascinating life via social media. She manages to run a separate life in the fashion industry while maintaining a social and academic presence as well. Junior Emily Newcomer envies Walz’s drive and success at such a young age. “I wish I could be anywhere close to her success when I’m seventeen!” said Newcomer.

To become an international sensation overnight is kind of a difficult task. But Walz is not the only young Omahan to bring what they love to a larger audience. Elkhorn South alumnus, Jenna Routh, is well known amongst teens throughout Omaha for her free lance photography. Beginning on Instagram, Routh started sharing her photos, which were a hobby and a creative outlet. She has now amassed close to 6000 followers on the site. By taking endless sessions of senior pictures, Jenna has gotten her name out of just Omaha and Nebraska, and is sure to go to even bigger places with her talents.

Ambitious talent can be found in any school in any state, and these two ladies are just a few examples of how taking an interest or passion to the next level can truly be life changing. Their stories can teach us not only to pursue what we love, but to take what may seem impossible and run with it.