• 5/10 : Spring Choir Concert in the Skutt Catholic Commons @ 7

• 5/4 : Hawk Walk!

Root for the Home Team

The Flightline staff talks school spirit

Photo by Twitter, @SkuttCatholic

Photo by Twitter, @SkuttCatholic

The Flightline Staff

In Las Vegas, a home field advantage is worth three points on paper. This means if two teams are equal, then the home team is given a three point advantage in the spread.

This, of course, doesn’t mean anything when the teams meet on the field. However, a home field advantage, given that it is taken advantage of, can give the home team a leg up over its opponent.

At Skutt Catholic, our hardworking students are involved in a number of activities, and it’s vital that we support them. It’s vital that we support them with character, with dedication, and with consistency.

When it comes to our football team, our student section has historically been one of the strongest in Class B athletics. However, on Friday, Sept. 16, as the SkyHawk football team started to succumb to the Elkhorn Antlers, the student section was greatly diminished. Many skirt-clad senior boys were nowhere to be found by the end of the first half.

As the game went on, the Antlers chanted one “We can’t hear you” after another and screamed countless ‘bang, bang, choo-choo train’ cheers.

Of course, this is not to say that we would have won the game if the fans had stuck around; in fact, to think this is to miss the point that we at the Flightline are trying to convey.

The point is that we can do better, and we have done better. We need to start cheering with integrity and loyalty. If we are losing at halftime, the second half should be louder than the first, not the other way around.

As of now, we have a recurring case of student section failure. This past Thursday, Sept. 21, in the SkyHawks’ game against Gretna, over half of the students refused to leave the stands to welcome the SkyHawk football players to the field, which is usually a incredibly proud and exciting tradition.

But the issue goes beyond the stands of Moylan Field. Skutt Catholic’s nationally ranked volleyball team gets a measly section of student onlookers week in and week out.

Nearly everyone has an involvement in some kind of competitive activity, so we all know that competing with your classmates there to cheer you on is always better than competing alone. And hopefully, all of us know the difference that those cheers make.

And with that, we issue a challenge: support your fellow SkyHawks in all that we do. Cheer emphatically, consistently, and with integrity. And for pete’s sake, leave the stands to welcome the football players to the field.

1 Comment

One Response to “Root for the Home Team”

1. Erin Quinn on September 26th, 2016 11:40 am

Very true! As a football mom, I’m pretty sensitive to the way the crowd affects the team’s morale. It was hard to see the students leaving before the Elkhorn game was finished. Thanks for writing about it.

[Reply]

• Root for the Home Team

Editorial

Editorial: Activities Receive Backlash from Teachers

• Root for the Home Team

Editorial

Theatrics Make Show Choir Cheaper

• Root for the Home Team

Editorial

Farewell Birkenstocks, Hello 2017

• Root for the Home Team

Editorial

One Easy Way to Get the Lunchroom to Hate You

• Root for the Home Team

Editorial

Boiling Over Below Zero

• Root for the Home Team

Editorial

Talent Thwarted

• Root for the Home Team

Column

The High School Label Maker

• Root for the Home Team

Editorial

The Waking Dead

• Root for the Home Team

Editorial

Our Palates Are Not Pleased

• Editorial

Work Study: Improving

Root for the Home Team