• 5/10 : Spring Choir Concert in the Skutt Catholic Commons @ 7

• 5/4 : Hawk Walk!

I Traded My Video Game for a Car

Freshman Chris Chandler makes thousands off of a game

Peter Quinn, Staff Reporter

At some point in every video game player’s life, they fantasize about the idea of profiting from playing their favorite games. Freshman at Skutt Catholic, Chris Chandler, has seemed to achieve this goal. A popular computer game, Counter Strike, or formally known as CS:GO, offers a whole economy inside of the game that he used to make thousands.

Inside the game, there are “skins” for the weapons in the game that make them look cosmetically different. Now at first this looks like a cool feature for the game, but what if I told you they were worth actual money? I’m just talking a few cents, these skins for skins can range from a dollar to nearly $15,000. Yes, this is real life money that can be used anywhere.Image3

These skins are traded and sold on a marketplace for the game where people spend loads of time trying to find the best trades and sales to turn a profit. The prices of the skins fluctuate like prices of stocks, so buying and selling at the correct time can be crucial and is a learned skill.

I personally have also sold and traded skins, and I can assure you it’s not as easy as it sounds. There are an endless amount of people trying to scam you, steal your account, etc. This is just like how someone would try to steal your bank account.

Image4

After a bit of work, this can earn you quite a profit. Luckily for Chris he achieved this. Chris is quite experienced in buying/trading skins, to the point where his inventory in total is a sum of a little over $5000. I know of many students that work five nights a week and don’t even have $5000 in their bank accounts.

He started with a few cheap skins, and as time progressed he continued to trade the skins for a small profit each time, and has reached the point he is at now. At first he was planning on selling his inventory to pay for his second car (yes, at 14 he has already bought one car), but he decided to save and try to profit more.

The game itself is only $15, so it’s crazy that at age 14 you can spend $15 to start and end up with $5000. If he can do this at such a young age, I could definitely see him can continuing this, as well as doing this with stocks.

I could say that Chris has achieved every kid’s dream of making a profit from video games. As fun as it sounds, this involved a lot of time and skill to be able to turn such a large profit. Nevertheless, it’s insane that he has already accumulated such a large sum of money from in-game items.