• 5/10 : Spring Choir Concert in the Skutt Catholic Commons @ 7

• 5/4 : Hawk Walk!

Senioritis from the Perspective of a Senior

An inside look at the thoughts of a senior in high school.

Photo by James Keeley

Photo by James Keeley

James Keeley, Op/Ed Editor

It took me about four minutes to form this first sentence. As I thought of how to begin this article, coincidentally, my mind drifted, because of the very topic I was writing about.

I am very thankful for the education I have received, and am well aware that not everyone in this world is as lucky. However, that does not change the fact that I’m wildly excited to no longer have to sit through high school classes in which I am disinterested.

Up until now, my education has consisted mainly of whatever a set curriculum has dictated is good for my growing brain, and while the curriculum did an admirable job, I’m ready to take over the reins.

I will be the one in charge of my educational future, free to pursue whatever goal I desire (and also hopefully figure out just what that is).

But, no matter how much I ponder it though, it is still not my current reality. It will be four months from now. Four months that, for the majority of students, do not really matter in terms of getting into college, which I see as the ultimate goal of a college preparatory high school.

Thus, senioritis comes into play. To start, let it be known that one definitely does not have to be a senior to be affected by this mindset. If I had to speculate I would say I’ve been thinking this way since about halfway through sophomore year.

Worksheets, memorization, and other random homework tasks were done begrudgingly, and sometimes not at all. I’m neither proud nor ashamed by this; I went through high school the way I wanted to.

And by no means am I trying to encourage students to deliberately deny their responsibilities, but if you just can’t bring yourself to do schoolwork in a subject you’re completely apathetic towards, know that I don’t blame you.

So now, why did I take the time and effort to write this whole thing if I’ve fallen ill with a severe case of senioritis? My answer to that question also happens to be the main point of this article.

Because I enjoy writing. And even more than that, I am writing about something I care about, something that affects me. I don’t want to spend my time filling out worksheets about random videos I probably fell asleep through when I could be figuring out what I like, what I’m talented at, and honing that talent into something I could possibly make a career of.

The cure for senioritis is nothing more than passion, mixed with a pinch of graduation. But mostly passion. Find your obsession, your talent, something you enjoy doing, and pursue it relentlessly. It should come a lot easier than the hundreds of copy and paste assignments that high school may throw at you.

So, to all the folks out there who may suffer from senioritis in any form, whether you’re a senior, sophomore, or really anywhere in life, all I can say is: try your best to find something that you don’t have to struggle to do. If you’re lucky, maybe even something you enjoy.