• 5/10 : Spring Choir Concert in the Skutt Catholic Commons @ 7

• 5/4 : Hawk Walk!

What’s Poppin’ Jimbo?

Review of La Vista’s hot spot, Jimbo’s Diner

Photo by Peter Quinn

Photo by Peter Quinn

Peter Quinn, Opinion Editor

The name “Jimbo’s Diner” sounds like one of those good ol’, local places you go to grab a burger on a Friday night, which is exactly what we did. Instead of having that nostalgic diner feel, it was more of a  location that reeked of cigarettes with people playing Keno at 7:00 p.m.

Jack Duff arrived earlier than the rest of us and thought he would be courteous and grab us a table, but sadly he was not allowed to because the place was lined with signs labeled “Must be accompanied by an adult to enter”. Once my 18-year-old “adult” self arrived, we were finally granted entrance.

Photo by Peter Quinn

The menus were fantastic. They were beautifully designed and visually appealing with their low-res images of food. The menus themselves also took up ¾ of the tables, so it was great to browse the food options while knocking over the water of the person sitting next to you.

Most diners usually have American food options, but Jimbo’s went far past that. They had American, Mexican, Italian, and seafood. The Italian was by far the most diverse with only one option, a true Italian classic: spaghetti and meatballs. I went with a grilled chicken sandwich, but Jack Duff decided to live on the edge and order the spaghetti.

Photo by Peter Quinn

The sides accompanying the spaghetti consisted of salad or cottage cheese. I’ve never been to Italy, but I don’t know anyone who thinks cottage cheese and spaghetti go hand-in-hand. Jack chose the salad. He ended up eating only the croutons since the actual salad tasted so bad. I’m  not the best cook out there, but I find it somewhat difficult to mess up leaves.
After a short amount of time, our meals finally arrived. The spaghetti was served on a plate with enough sauce for three more orders. The Parmesan cheese was formally served in small, plastic containers. After digging into the spaghetti, Jack discovered that the noodles on the bottom weren’t even fully cooked, and he claimed it tasted like spaghettiOs.

Photo by Peter Quinn

The garlic bread was also fairly interesting. It was two slices of normal bread toasted with garlic seasoning on top. They even managed to not toast the bread all the way through.

We eventually got our checks and realized that every item on the menu was exactly $9.66. I’m not sure who Jimbo is, but he must be a marketing genius with strategic prices like that.

The American side of the menu was fairly average, but if you want to get a great value taste of Italy, Jimbo’s diner is the place. I was also due 34 cents back in change, but the waitress gave me 35, so I can’t say my experience was all that bad.