• 5/10 : Spring Choir Concert in the Skutt Catholic Commons @ 7

• 5/4 : Hawk Walk!

Beyond the Artist

The secret life of Josh Schmidt

Photo by Molly Gubbels

Photo by Molly Gubbels

Molly Gubbels, Entertainment Editor

The walls of Skutt Catholic are almost always lined with the most beautiful student artwork around, including the pen-drawn stylings of Josh Schmidt. However, what you may not know is that Josh holds many interesting qualities beyond his awe inspiring artwork.

With the creation of a new Instagram on which he posts his drawings, Josh has received all sorts of newfound attention as an artist. People passing in the halls will often stop him to commend him on his impressively detailed works. Josh drew his interest in the artistic from his brother who he strives to be more like and takes inspiration from figures such as hypnothalamus. “I generally get inspired by anything that distorts the human form,” says Schmidt.

Photo by Josh Schmidt
“Queen”

Of course, Josh’s other talents know no bounds as he is quite the musician. Josh became well versed in piano as a young child, but grew out of the practice after the tragic death of his instructor. However, he still maintains his second grade recorder skills and remembers the delightful tune of hot cross buns. The music doesn’t stop here, though, as he maintains a fervent interest in artists such as Quinn XCII, John Bellion and Mumford and Sons and while his friends glorify his memory, Josh denies any interest or love for Meatloaf.

As well as his triumphs as both an artist and musician, Josh is a master of memes. With his daily meme collaborations with colleague, Joe Bean, Josh is easily pushing aside the famed Pepe and the doge.

With the year winding down and his senior year coming to a close, Josh plans to attend UNL to study physics, a field which he hopes will lead him to careers in academia or research and even the possibility to work with NASA. “I just like the concept of being able to explain the way the universe works,” says Schmidt. And with his receipt of the Susan T Buffett scholarship, it’s clear that Schmidt’s academic possibilities are endless.

The impending summer promises a beautiful road trip to Florida for Josh and his friends. Upon his return, he plans on taking part in the summer service trip at Winnebago.

When asked about his recent artistic fame, Josh commented, “It’s a strange feeling for the most part because it feels like I go by relatively unnoticed. When it happens, I’m not sure how to act with all the added attention.” Though his success as an artist make him well known throughout the school, it is important to know that Josh holds many more talents and qualities beyond our knowledge. With musical excellence, dank memes and outstanding academic achievement, Josh is certainly more than meets the eye.

Photo by Josh Schmidt
“Overcoming Omnipotence”