• 5/10 : Spring Choir Concert in the Skutt Catholic Commons @ 7

• 5/4 : Hawk Walk!

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 Review: A Worthy Sequel

Marvel provides fans another thrilling, funny, and powerful GOTG movie

GOTG+2+poster+
GOTG 2 poster

GOTG 2 poster

Photo by Comic Book

Photo by Comic Book

GOTG 2 poster

Bob Killgore, Posters Coordinator

The first Guardians of the Galaxy film became a major hit and a fan favorite because of its humor, awesome characters, thrilling action scenes, and a great soundtrack. However, Marvel faced a challenge to replicate the original movie’s success and make an amazing sequel. They answered that challenge well as the second volume of the Guardians of the Galaxy is funnier and just as great as the original.

What made the first GOTG movie so special was its ability to balance out the humor by not having too much or too little of it. The sequel does this even better as Baby Groot, Rocket Raccoon, and Drax kept me laughing throughout the movie. Watching Baby Groot dance as the rest of the Guardians fought a creature and him chasing and taking out a Ravager was fantastic. Also, witnessing Rocket make fun of a villain’s name and Drax saying insensitive things and questions was humorous to watch.

One thing that GOTG 2 struggled at was introducing characters, most notably Ego and Mantis. As the Guardians were being chased and shot at, somebody saved them by taking out the spaceships. Two minutes later, that person is revealed to be Ego as he calmly tells Star-lord that he is his father. It felt rushed and sudden because it didn’t give the audience time to adjust. Also, Mantis was there with Ego and wasn’t given much of an introduction until later in the movie. Ego and Mantis were introduced too soon and GOTG 2 would have flowed better if they were introduced a little later.

The sequel made up for this though by providing nifty character development throughout the movie. Using Mantis’s ability to read emotions, audiences saw a side of Drax they don’t see often, in which he is a grieving widower. The reason why Nebula hates Gamora so much is revealed in this movie, as Thanos would take a body part from her every time she lost to Gamora in combat. Audience members also see why Yondu and Rocket push people away, which gives them something to bond over. Peter also asks his father if he loved his mother, then why did he leave her and Peter. GOTG 2 does a great job providing sides of characters that the audience don’t see often and makes the characters feel human.

The original GOTG featured a fantastic soundtrack and memorable music moments. From the opening scene of Peter getting the orb listening to Come and Get Your Love, Hooked on a Feeling prison scene, Cherry Bomb while the Guardians were planning and dressing for the incoming battle, and Peter singing Ooh child to stop Ronan were spot on choices of songs. The sequel only had one memorable music moment and that occurred at the end of the movie.

Just like the first Guardians of the Galaxy, the sequel will be remembered as a major hit and another thrilling adventure. Fan favorites like adorable Baby Groot, Drax, and Rocket are hilarious to watch and make the second volume a joy to see. There are five post credit scenes, so remember to watch them all because you don’t want to miss an adolescent Groot interact with Star-Lord.