• 5/10 : Spring Choir Concert in the Skutt Catholic Commons @ 7

• 5/4 : Hawk Walk!

Sertino’s Cafe: Appealing to All

A freshly modern cafe with something for everyone

Allison Heithoff, Editor-in-Chief of Quintessence

I was driving on Maple Street when I happened to look around while stopped at a red light and notice what appeared to be a newly opened cafe tucked away from the street. I was instantly intrigued by the unrecognized name and decided before the light turned green that I was going to see what this place was about.

Photo by Allison Heithoff
A comfortable and inviting seating area

Upon first walking in, I was pleasantly delighted by the spacious and varied seating options to my right with the counter for ordering along the left wall. There were booths, comfortable lounge chairs, and higher seats adjacent to the windows with accessible outlets on the wall making it easy to charge a device as you work. There was a somewhat set apart room in the center surrounded entirely by glass with a fireplace that stood between it and the open seating. The best way I can describe the vibe of this place is a slightly more modern version of Panera.

An extensive menu including coffee and tea, smoothies, ice cream, food, and baked desserts and pastries

The exterior of Sertino’s advertises two things, deli and espresso, but a cursory glance at their menu reveals they are much more than that. As could be expected, there was a multitude of gourmet sandwiches, paninis, salads, and even pizza, in addition to an entire menu of coffees, teas, and other drinks commonly associated with a cafe. However, that was just the beginning. In addition, there was a menu of consisting of twelve handcrafted juice smoothies, a case full of various flavors of ice cream, and another case fill with baked bakery treats. It honestly appeared to me that they had it all, and it truly is one of those places you could go to several times and have a distinctly unique experience each visit.

After some deliberation, I decided to go for the Chicken Chipotle Ranch toasted sandwich, which was later delivered to my table on a white oval plate with a pickle spear garnish. This sandwich was absolutely loaded with ingredients, including a double layer of thick cut grilled chicken, cheddar cheese oozing out from under the perfectly toasted bun, and a layer of chipotle ranch and avocado smeared on top. One bite and I can honestly say it was one of the best, most flavorful sandwiches I have ever had.

Chicken Chipotle Ranch sandwich served with a pickle spear

This sandwich alone was enough to fill me up, but after finishing, one of the workers came by asking if I wanted to try a sample of one of their smoothies, which was an added bonus. It ended up being their Black Velvet smoothie with blackberries, raspberries, and a dollop of whipped cream on top, and I thought it was easily right up there with the quite popular smoothies found at Scooter’s. I look forward to trying one of their regular size ones when I come back in the future.

Overall, Sertino’s Cafe is the perfect one-stop destination for people looking for a wide range of options in a modern and cozy environment perfect for catching up with someone or simply working on homework. The only downside is it is a bit pricy if you get multiple things, as the sandwich itself stood at $7.50, and that was just the regular version not the even the large size.

Aside from that, it’s nice to see new places popping up that offer something a bit different than the multitude of highly recognizable chains we have all become accustomed to know and love. Having only just opened this past March, I’m glad I happened to notice Sertino’s Cafe on my drive down Maple. I highly recommend stopping by if you get the chance.